Fence shade edibles

Garden_EaterApril 16, 2013

Hi,
I've enjoyed reading the posts. I'm as newbie as gets on plants except for tomatoes and peppers. I fast three days a week.
What I want to do is grow spices and some dieting foods in my inner city yard. In the sunny areas I grow alot of tomatoes and peppers. I eat green tomatoes, and like eating them before they are ripe. This helps with having a longer season to go out, pick something, and eat it.

My biggest issues is two fences solid wood six feet tall. A total of 100 feet of shade. That face north and south. Grass grows right up to fence on both sides though.
I would like to plant edibles that come back every year in the shade behind the fence. As well as hang some herb pots.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gjshawk(6)

I've got mint and blackberries along my wood fence. It runs east-west. Both plants were planted by my neighbor to the south and grew through the fence onto my side, so I take advantage. Both the mint and the blackberries are prolific and perennial, so I can use them every year.

Bookmark   April 17, 2013 at 4:13PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Garden_Eater

Thanks
I do have 6 mulberry growing on fence posts. I get a good nutrient and fullness from eating those berries.
What about chives or a onion that sprouts in spring, but due to lack of sunshine I could/should pull up early?

Bookmark   April 19, 2013 at 9:33AM
More Discussions
Crab Apple vinegar?
Has anyone made cider vinegar from crab apples? I have...
wy0mn
where can i buy sea buckthorn?
I found one place online but they have only females....
knifer
Asparagus setaceus root, has anyone seen it?
i think that what i have here is a big size Asparagus...
preppystud
kiwi or grape up a pergola
Hello, we just had a pergola built, and this is my...
mingwei1
Need advice for front-yard edible landscape
I am seeking advice on how to win over my neighborhood...
GrowMakeGive
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™