Puervian Daffodils

schoolhouse_gwMarch 12, 2011

Bought two boxes of these awhile ago while at the hardware buying more primer. Two bulbs to a box. I think I've read here on Cott.Garden people grow these. Summer blooming? I was surprised to see daffodils to be planted in Spring instead of Fall.

I'd like to have more white in the garden this year, so these will give a nice touch.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada

I've grown these bulbs in the past, they're not winter hardy for me in zone 8 so I grew mine in pots. If you want to plant them out you'll have to dig and store the bulbs for the winter. I had several different cultivars back in the 80's very pretty and fragrant too :).

Annette

Bookmark   March 12, 2011 at 12:22PM
flora_uk(SW UK 8/9)

"I was surprised to see daffodils to be planted in Spring instead of Fall." Schoolhouse, they're only called 'daffodils' because of a superficial resemblance in the flowers. Thay are not true Narcissus but Hymenocallis and flower in Summer hence the Spring planting. Not hardy in UK either, Annette.

Bookmark   March 12, 2011 at 1:05PM
schoolhouse_gw

Oh, I guess I'd better read the box to see if I have to dig them up this Fall. Thanks.

Bookmark   March 12, 2011 at 1:39PM
flora_uk(SW UK 8/9)

Well, you know what they say... 'if all else fails read the instructions.' ;) Hope they grow for you, schoolhouse, they look lovely.

Bookmark   March 12, 2011 at 2:55PM
More Discussions
echinacea pink double delight
6 plants propagated from a single stem late last nov....
daves10
Backyard birding
Last fall i had posted that i was having trouble attracting...
Lilyfinch z7 mid tn
Weekend Trivia: Sunday
Brrr, woke up to no power this morning and the house...
cyn427
Weekend Trivia - Saturday
Happy Saturday Morning, Cottagers!! Well, it's a grey...
midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
Here's what my Garden looks like!!
The icicles are getting crazy big, but they look pretty...
midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™