2 4 D in daylily beds

tarheel336March 8, 2012

I have been reading you can spray 2 4 D in daylily beds without harming them because they are in the grass and corn families.Does anyone know for sure if it is true.It would save a lot of back breaking work if it is.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kydaylilylady(z6 KY)

Yes, I have sprayed this on my daylilies. It's not for the faint hearted. Early in the spring it will make the foliage somewhat twist sideways and will scare you to death that you've done something very, very wrong. In about 2-3 weeks they grow out of it and you can't tell there was anything different about them.

DO NOT spray when the plants are forming scapes. If you do they will twist and corkscrew.

I also wouldn't spray around any plant that is stressed. Don't know that it would hurt it but if the plant is already stressed why stress it more.

I use 1 ounce per gallon of water. I also use some detergent as a surfactant if I don't have any. DO NOT use Dawn bacterial liquid. I've heard the outcome is not good.

Also--BE CAREFUL of spray drift. That's part of the reason you'll want a surfactant. This spray I don't think is as volutile as it used to be but you don't want to spray and find out you've killed something 4-5 ft. or more downwind from where you're spraying.

Hope I haven't scared you to death but I want to make you aware of the possibilities if you choose to use it.

Bookmark   March 9, 2012 at 9:18AM
More Discussions
Question About Seed Sprouting
I was throwing out some old seed packets that were...
alameda/zone 8
Fertilizing daylily seedlings
My sprouts are about 2 weeks old and getting to be...
nancykvb
Siloam Daylilies ID
OK all you Siloam daylily experts. I have 3 daylilies...
swontgirl_z5a
Pauline Henry daylilies
I was brousing a couple of daylily sites the other...
Maryl zone 7a
Time for desirable "D" daylilies!
Time to dig in the files for your "D"s! Lets...
sherrygirl zone5
Sponsored Products
MOTI Furniture - Enchanted Queen Panel Bed - 40013001
Great Furniture Deal
Fashion Bed Saint Marie King/Cal King Upholestered Headboard
Overstock.com
Finley Grey Linen Bed
Overstock.com
Bonita Headboard
Overstock.com
Amisco Love Panel Bed - Twin - 14303-39LC/53
$407.33 | Hayneedle
Madison Park Mansfield 3-piece Quilted Pattern Coverlet Mini Set
Overstock.com
Rizzy Home Printed with Cording Details Decorative Throw Pillow in Light Blue -
$26.00 | Hayneedle
InnerSpace 6.5 in. Truck Luxury Reversible Mattress - Quilted Both Sides Multico
$194.99 | Hayneedle
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™