Edible permaculture landscaping

amanda_m(z7 MD)April 10, 2013

I am so excited. After months of searching for a permaculture designer to help us develop a long term plan for our .6 acre suburban lot, we started working with a great guy this week.

We are in the heavy observing/dreaming/planning stages and I'm running into a case of having champagne dreams on a beer budget/amount of space/amount of sun. When I set down with a list of what I'd like to plant someday, I'd need a property the size of Versailles to accomodate everything.

This year, the focus is on getting kiwi, asparagus, at least one fruit tree, and a herb spiral put in. Then we see where we go from there!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nothwehr

Amanda, it does sound like an exciting project. I live in Rockville and am about 3 years ahead of you. My lot is smaller though: 0.28 acres. I have to be really creative - there's no way I can plant everything I would like. It's a lot of work! But every season brings something new.

Bookmark   May 8, 2013 at 4:44PM
zackey(GA 8b)

We planted a hugel for the first time this year. You can almost watch the plants grow! It is awesome! Hubby put some Black Cow on top and the plants are growing like crazy!

Bookmark   May 13, 2013 at 7:18PM
amanda_m(z7 MD)

We have a spot in back where we have started a brush pile. My thought is that I will eventually try out a hugel bed back there.

We have about half the fruit bushes/trees in the ground now (surrounded by heavy wire cages to keep the deer - rats on stilts - off of them). Going to try to plant the rest soon.

The herb spiral is in and it's amazing. Nasturtium and lavender are blooming and everything else is growing lush (except for the French Tarragon which looks sad).

Bookmark   June 4, 2013 at 1:04PM
More Discussions
Looking for American elderberry
I am from Windsor, Ontario, Canada. I am looking for...
magg_ca
Designing with fruit & citrus trees
OK. I've finished the list of fruiting trees and shrubs...
modern_miss
Crab Apple vinegar?
Has anyone made cider vinegar from crab apples? I have...
wy0mn
Do Carpathian Walnuts and Butternuts Cross Pollinate?
It's probably been asked before, however, I couldn't...
nyRockFarmer
Looking for Kudzu roots to grow
Hello, I am looking for someone who can send me some...
Placebo
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™