Please define trickle when watering a Techny Arb

podaplayaJune 20, 2012

1 - I was told to water a trickle at the base of the arb for 10 minutes twice (if greater than 80) a week for several 5 foot techny arborvitae. Is a trickle approximately the size of a pencil ?

2- After I am done watering if I stick my finger in the ground about 3 inches should it be sticky moist or just moist

3- I have attached what 2 or the arbs currently look like..Is the browning due to watering issues..Should I prune them or will it grow back ? If so can you provide a link on how to prune ? thx

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tsugajunkie z5 SE WI

If the trickle is the size of a pencil, you'd need to run it at least two or three hours. The point is to water the entire rootball and then don't water again until its dry (or warm) at that 3 inch level five or seven days later (or longer). Being wet or soggy at that three inch level means nothing just after watering as whole rootball needs a good soaking.

tj

Bookmark   June 20, 2012 at 1:06AM
gardengal48

10 minutes twice a week will do nothing for those plants, "trickling" hose water or even with a heavier application. Get yourself a soaker hose and water slowly but deeply over an extended period of time (tj's 2-3 hours is a good start) as often as necessary. Temperature has little to do with soil conditions so don't let that be your only guide....I'd be more concerned about monitoring actual rainfall and how far down the soil profile moisture is carried. You want the soil to be evenly moist - not wet - the full depth of the rootball.

Bookmark   June 20, 2012 at 1:22PM
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

what they said..

but those sporadic brown patches.. are shipping damage.. prune them back to a live green part...

ken

Bookmark   June 20, 2012 at 4:07PM
Windhaven(5- Midstate IL)

Good information here on watering. I've often had questions about it (and pruning dead areas at this time of year) and not had good success trying to run a search for those topics in relation to conifers. Can anyone point me to some good guideline threads?
Thanks in advance

Robyn

Bookmark   June 20, 2012 at 4:47PM
podaplaya

I bought a Burpee Moisture Meter and the average readings for all 10 of my technys was 8.5 ! Am I overwatering..The odd thing was I did try the meter on parts of my lawn that are not watered and it was also 7 -8. Note though we just had a 1 inch rain on Sunday ...

Bookmark   June 20, 2012 at 8:21PM
More Discussions
Thuja green giant look at this picture
Hi I bought 13 Thuja Green Giants and planted them...
midnight727200
yellowing of emerald arborvitae
I have several emerald arborvitaes that are turning...
larry361
Tree Repair with Screws?
Does this actually work, has anyone tried this successfully....
sc77
ID dwarf conifers
We moved in a few months ago, and these are in the...
amynoacids
Yellow variegated Thuja cultivar at local box store!
Great, now EVERYONE is going to own one lol. Saw this...
toronado3800 Zone 6 StLouis
Sponsored Products
Langdon Tambourine Pillow
$105.00 | FRONTGATE
Rivendell New Antique Silver Three-Light Crystal Swarovski Elements Pendant Ligh
Bellacor
Fiori Di Cactus
| Italy Design
Union Wood Arched Natural Oak Wall Mirror - 33W x 37H in. - DM2022
$258.00 | Hayneedle
Bella Chesterfield Sofa - APPLE
$3,799.00 | Horchow
Shower Panel Tower System with Waterfall Head
Hudson Reed
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™