Two more decorative edibles....

flowersandthings(MidAtlantic 6/7)April 27, 2005

Hi here's two more decorative edibles (I just ran across) that I'd like to try:

Tetragonolobus purpurea (asparagus / winged pea) pods sauteed like pod peas or string beans.... or asparagus :)

http://www.britishseed.com/Seed/Seed250/Vegetable250Logo/Asparagus400/AsparagusPea0602.jpg

From what I can gather like warms weather and full sun in fertile to infertile soil.... pick pods when small.... Has pretty (interesting) "brick" red flowers..... Grows like a green bean (twiggy)

Trapapogon porifolius salsify - roots used like parsnips in sops and stews.....

Pretty purple flowers supposed to be very easy to grow.....

http://www.rz.uni-karlsruhe.de/~db50/FOTO_-_Archiv/Tragopogon%20porrifolius%20BotKA%20F4.jpg

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rosieo(7 NC)

I ordered asparagus pea from Pinetree. Too soon to tell how it'll do. It sounded good though. Here's the link although I hesitate to recommend Pinetree; I'm going into my second month waiting for my seeds from them :-(

They're listed under peas, about halfway down the page:

Here is a link that might be useful: asparagus pea at pinetree

Bookmark   April 28, 2005 at 4:25PM
flowersandthings(MidAtlantic 6/7)

I also ordered asparagus pea from them.... they have (in general) EXCELLENT PRICES.... and quality seeds (good germination) with a fairly good selection but sometimes their page is hard to navigate and they ARE TARDY...... Maybe they are a small business but most seeds arrive (as most orders) within 5-7 business days..... pinetree policy is 2-3 weeks in the spring and "reasonable" time every other time of year.... I'm sure this is their "pus" or busy time but IT IS ANNOYING!..... I'm starting the asparagus pea indoors to give it a headstart (likes long warm growing season..... or so sources say).... but in Florida you could probably direct seed..... I've also heard not to plant them in too rich of soil ...... :)

Bookmark   April 28, 2005 at 4:32PM
hemnancy(z8 PNW)

The runner beans, like Scarlet Runner and varieties in various shades of peach, red and white, and white, are very decorative and easy to grow. I don't find the pods very edible unless very small, but the beans are good as shelled or dry beans.

Bookmark   April 29, 2005 at 5:54PM
lkz5ia

I ordered both asparagus pea and scarlet runner bean from pinetree seeds. Will be the first year trying them. So many new things to try.

Bookmark   April 29, 2005 at 11:18PM
More Discussions
Poncirus Trifoliata?
Anyone know anything about this plant, aka: Japanese...
trudyjean82
espalier - not apple or pear
Does anyone have any experience with creating an espalier...
lpinkmountain
kiwi or grape up a pergola
Hello, we just had a pergola built, and this is my...
mingwei1
Edible Mycorrhizae Mushrooms
I have a wacky idea. Mycorrhizae mushrooms have symbiotic...
edlincoln
Crab Apple vinegar?
Has anyone made cider vinegar from crab apples? I have...
wy0mn
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™