Protecting a pear

meanma(9)April 15, 2008

Hi,

We have a pear tree with fruit. Is there any way to protect one pear from squirels? Would it be posible to put it inside a plastic bottle? We have never had one to mature on the tree. Just wanted to know what kind it was..

Betty

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mxbarbie(pnw BC 5)

you can slip a bottle over it while it is small, it will grow inside. I have pear liquor with a whole pear inside the bottle & that's how they get it in there. The bottle is glass but plastic should work. You might want to use glass though because squirrels will chew through plastic(you'll have to break it to get the pear out). Maybe a little wire cage? I had a squirrel chew the handle and part of the lid off a rubbermaid tote last year trying to get to the chicken feed inside, they are relentless little critters.
I would find an old birdcage and hang it in the tree with one branch running through it maybe you'll get more than 1 pear in there.

Bookmark   April 17, 2008 at 12:04PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mersiepoo(6)

If it's only a few squirrels, you could get a hav a hart trap (they sell squirrel sized ones) and get rid of them that way. Just make sure to get rid of them far enough away so they don't come back.

Bookmark   April 17, 2008 at 9:29PM
More Discussions
loquats
This is a tree that seems to have some real potential...
lostman
pakistan mulberry problems
can you tell me what is wrong with me Pakistan mulberry...
anthonyaz
Asparagus setaceus root, has anyone seen it?
i think that what i have here is a big size Asparagus...
preppystud
tasty aronia??
Has anyone had a tasty crop of aronia? I had bought...
lostman
North star cherry tree size
I can't find any consistent info on this. Everyone...
shine0216
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™