Pomegranate not leaf out yet: Have I lost it?

forever_a_newbie(z7/8 VA)April 14, 2006

We have a 3-4 year old "Wonderful" and it has been doing beautifully, blooming all the summer and producing one fruit each year. This January we moved it to our new house site (still in construction), and the workers had accidentally stroke on it twice.

Today when checking the tree, it hasn't leaf out. The branchs still seem vital, but I'm worried we might have lost it. I feel very bad on this, since this is the one tree that I really like a lot.

Any idea or suggestion? Thank you very much in advance.

Changsong

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
flora_uk(SW UK 8/9)

I seem to recall from one my father had that they do leaf out quite late. His was moved at quite a large size and survived. If you snap off a twig and it bends before it snaps and is green inside your pomegranate is probably ok. Just keep it watered and wait.

Bookmark   April 15, 2006 at 8:38AM
forever_a_newbie(z7/8 VA)

Thanks Flora.I actually the gentleman whom we got the tree from and he told me Pomegranate will leave sometime early May. I don't remember when it leafed out the past years, since it was never a concern for us. And we kind of got ancious because the tree had been moved and knocked. The branches are still green. I'll keep my fingers crossed. Changsong

Bookmark   April 15, 2006 at 11:24AM
utsharpie(33014)

i live in waco texas i guess its 8b...the poms here are just now leafing so yours should come along next month

Bookmark   April 16, 2006 at 2:17AM
dirt_dew(z9 az)

This tree has been a survivor for thousands of years! They can come back from a small twig, a small amount of root left in the ground, or from self seeding.
They do choose their own time to come out of dormancy.
They are well worth the wait. Mine are in bloom here now.
Be patient.

Bookmark   April 17, 2006 at 11:14PM
forever_a_newbie(z7/8 VA)

Thank you all for this information. We'll keep patient on her. The odd thing is that the cuttings I took late last autumn already leaf out a few weeks ago, and one little baby even set a flower bud. They are all outside on the ground. That makes us especially my husband ancious on the mother plant. But I assume the cuttings might go through different physiological route. Happy gardening, Changsong

Bookmark   April 18, 2006 at 8:30AM
More Discussions
espalier - not apple or pear
Does anyone have any experience with creating an espalier...
lpinkmountain
kiwi or grape up a pergola
Hello, we just had a pergola built, and this is my...
mingwei1
loquats
This is a tree that seems to have some real potential...
lostman
sunchoke, jerusalem artichoke
hello. i live in michigan. never had sunchoke before,...
anikomaier
Crab Apple vinegar?
Has anyone made cider vinegar from crab apples? I have...
wy0mn
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™