pin cherry or wild black cherry

bryan1650t(WI)May 27, 2005

Good morning!

It's time for DNR conservation tree plantings in my area again! This year I would like to try some native cherry trees-- pin cherry (prunus pennsylvanica) or wild black cherry (prunus serotina). The goal is to try to have a set of trees which will attract birds and give me quality edible cherries to jam and jelly. I already have common chokecherries (prunus virginiana), so this time I'd like to order something different. Please comment on your experiences with black cherry and pin cherry.

Thank you for your help,

Bryan

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
clibanarius(z8GA)

P. serotina: Two adult trees in our yard, several thousand seedlings everywhere. Roughly 99% die in the first year, but that still leaves me with dozens of larger plants that need to be pulled. Fruits disappear before I even see them. Others in our area get heavy infestations of webworms; I wouldn't mind that, so of course mine have none!

I'm intending to replace these with trees that are friendly to both wildlife and me!

Bookmark   May 27, 2005 at 11:06AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
njbiology

Hi,

This is a good question. Hopefully, someone could answer this. I've read that (very loose information) Pin cherry makes the very best jam. How does P. virginiana cherries taste to you? P. serotina (which are common here, where P. virginiana) is absent, is bitter and posses a sweet, tart after-taste.

Bookmark   May 9, 2009 at 11:51PM
More Discussions
loquats
This is a tree that seems to have some real potential...
lostman
Need advice for front-yard edible landscape
I am seeking advice on how to win over my neighborhood...
GrowMakeGive
Edible Mycorrhizae Mushrooms
I have a wacky idea. Mycorrhizae mushrooms have symbiotic...
edlincoln
kiwi or grape up a pergola
Hello, we just had a pergola built, and this is my...
mingwei1
Paw Paw hybrids or not?
I've contacted a few nurseries in pursuit of PawPaw....
moontraveler
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™