poisonous fiddleheads

jman123May 13, 2007

I understand that some fiddleheads are carcinogenic and that they are possibly toxic if not fully cooked. Are there any fiddleheads that are toxic even if picked and prepared properly?(I think the fuzzy ones are but i wouldnt eat them anyway)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
californian

I hope you are wrong as I have eaten a lot of Kosadi (Korean word for fiddlehead fern).

Bookmark   May 22, 2007 at 12:05AM
mersiepoo(6)

I've heard that some are poisonous, but that ostrich fiddle heads are good to eat. I don't know which ones are poisonous...let me find out...

Okay, here is the link! :)

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.theheartofnewengland.com/food-fiddleheads.html

Bookmark   May 22, 2007 at 6:26PM
yeagman

i've been picking fiddleheads for some time now, but i'm always interested in more information. please e-mail me with more edible and inedible info.i do have quite alot of info wild mushrooms!

Bookmark   March 11, 2009 at 12:21AM
OKMoreh

Fiddleheads have been eaten safely for many generations, but they need to be cooked fully. There is a toxin in them that is deactivated by heat.

There was an incident several years ago in which customers at a fancy restaurant were poisoned by fiddleheads that had been stir-fried and served so that they were still crisp - that is, not fully cooked. The traditional way of cooking them is to boil them.

Bookmark   March 15, 2009 at 7:59PM
tripbarber

I was told that fiddleheads are nontoxic untill the start to mature. That as long as they where still curled up tight you had nothing to worry about that they could be ate raw but when they started to open and mature they became toxic! Tom Brown discussed this in one of his books, but I can't remember which one

Bookmark   March 16, 2009 at 3:05PM
tripbarber

I was told that fiddleheads are nontoxic untill the start to mature. That as long as they where still curled up tight you had nothing to worry about that they could be ate raw but when they started to open and mature they became toxic! Tom Brown discussed this in one of his books, but I can't remember which one

Bookmark   March 17, 2009 at 3:06PM
ikc_tds_net

Cook them thoroughly and drain the water.

I've been eating them for years and maybe I've been lucky to this point. Last night we had some more -- same plants, picked from next to our house -- just a new season. Little water was used this time and they were essentially just steamed for a few minutes. I may have drank some of the water, too.

I spent last night alternately hugging and sitting on the toilet. I've recovered well since then but it was not a pleasant experience.

Bookmark   April 13, 2011 at 6:03PM
californian

I just talked to a Korean who knows about Kosadi and she says Koreans soak the fiddlehead ferns is water and throw away the water several times before boiling it.

Bookmark   April 24, 2011 at 1:13AM
solanaceae

fiddlehead is meaningless. There are different "fiddlehead" ferns.

Matteuccia struthiopteris ostrich fern has edible shoots.

Pteridium aquilinum bracken fern is eaten but probably carcinogenic. Other "fiddle head ferns are mildly toxic.

Bookmark   May 6, 2011 at 6:20PM
More Discussions
pakistan mulberry problems
can you tell me what is wrong with me Pakistan mulberry...
anthonyaz
Designing with fruit & citrus trees
OK. I've finished the list of fruiting trees and shrubs...
modern_miss
loquats
This is a tree that seems to have some real potential...
lostman
sunchoke, jerusalem artichoke
hello. i live in michigan. never had sunchoke before,...
anikomaier
Cherry Red rhubarb
Cherry Red would be good for my Maryland location near...
gwmchalmers
Sponsored Products
QP Fugu LED Pendant
Lightology
QP Fugu Halogen Pendant
Lightology
Springstar Pantry and Flour Moth Trap - 1386-2412
$21.99 | Hayneedle
Springstar Spider and Silverfish Traps - 6 Pack - 1386-2271
$21.99 | Hayneedle
Black 'Poison' Beach Towel
$21.99 | zulily