Avocado for SoCal?

simon_growMay 9, 2012

Hello everyone, I just planted a Holiday Avocado and want to get another avocado to extend the season. Holiday is an "A" type avocado but I live in San Diego and there are Avocado trees everywhere so I'm wondering if I should get a "B" type Avocado or am I ok getting another "A" type Avocado? I'm looking for Excellent eating quality fruit with high oil content.

I would also like to extend my harvest season. Holiday is supposed to ripen from Sept-Jan. I was considering a Sharwil because it was listed on one website as a "smaller" plant and it is a "B" type plant with good quality fruit.

I was also considering a "Sir Prize" because it is also a "B" type plant with good quality fruit. "Lamb Hass" is an "A" type plant but its supposed to be a "smaller" tree.

There are so many varieties out there, I don't know how I'm going to choose. I've heard lots of good things about Janice Boyce as well. My yard is small and I am even considering grafting one of these varieties onto my Holiday. Considering everything I have mentioned, which additional variety of Avocado would you recommend for me? Thanks in advance!

Simon

More Discussions
espalier - not apple or pear
Does anyone have any experience with creating an espalier...
lpinkmountain
Beach Plum as Foundation Planting?
I'm going to buy a boyfriend for an existing Beach...
edlincoln
Yew
Are yew berries poisonous? I know the seed is, but...
CaptMicha
Do Carpathian Walnuts and Butternuts Cross Pollinate?
It's probably been asked before, however, I couldn't...
nyRockFarmer
Asparagus setaceus root, has anyone seen it?
i think that what i have here is a big size Asparagus...
preppystud
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™