partial shade??

tspitzer(z6 ny)May 8, 2009

I am looking for suggestions....I am in zone 6 NY, and have an empty bed that I would like to plant with something edible. It is on the east side of the house, right up to the foundation...probably 4' x 15' TIA

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ediblelandscape411

Hi. You can actually grow some of the cool season vegetables in partial shade areas and keep growing them into the warmer months...lettuce, spinach, peas. It all depends upon how much sun that area gets. Some other ideas include Alpine Strawberries,Filberts,Highbush cranberry, currants, or Gooseberry, Lingonberry, raspberries, Blueberries...basically any berry that grows in wooded areas does well in partial shade. You also need to take into account the type of soil you have...well drained, clay, etc. That will impact how well the plants do as much as the amount of sun they get.

Here is a link that might be useful: Edible Garden Landscaping

Bookmark   May 9, 2009 at 7:24PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
solanaceae

Hi tspitzer,

Much of the time you will get advice on shade with cultivated plants in mind. The suggestions are often slim. Parsley and Rosemary are both great. I have partial shade in my back yard and have recently added currants and gooseberries and Alpine strawberries. However I have looked into more wild and native plants not typically found in the super market and it provides more opportunities. Even weeds like Lamb's quarter and wood nettle can make fine edibles and they have more nutrition than kale or spinach. I plan in the future to try these along with wild ramps. They just can't do the commercial food chain but they grow like weeds. I have already planted Pawpaws and Saskatoons and I am in the process of planting Nanny Berries. All these are great native under story trees and as already mentioned the high bush cranberry is another(make sure it a native variety of either Viburnum Edule or Viburnum Trilobum which is supposed to have better fruit than the Euro).

Bookmark   May 20, 2009 at 10:51PM
More Discussions
espalier - not apple or pear
Does anyone have any experience with creating an espalier...
lpinkmountain
Looking for Kudzu roots to grow
Hello, I am looking for someone who can send me some...
Placebo
Designing with fruit & citrus trees
OK. I've finished the list of fruiting trees and shrubs...
modern_miss
Yew
Are yew berries poisonous? I know the seed is, but...
CaptMicha
loquats
This is a tree that seems to have some real potential...
lostman
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™