Moringa

tiresunltd(z9 CA)May 4, 2005

has anyone had experiance with Moringas. From what I have read they can do everything but walk on water and burn. I have no idea as to how they tast. I bought some seeds and have 4 sprouts with the anuals, none of the pre-anuals have sprouted yet.

Kathy

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Dino_Tsapatsaris(9B Florida)

Do you mean the African tree that has edible leaves and seed (and probably the flowers and bark too.)I'm in Cnetral Florida and they have grown well here. I use the leaves in salads but a tenet of mine (Chinese) use to make a soup out of the leaves. They are not at all frost hardy, but since we havent had a freeze here in three years I've to two trees that are around 25 feet high. While it is fast growing, it is also fragile, a string rubbing against can cut the tree in two as the injury degrades. In that regard the tree is more like a soft plant, it damages easily and does not heal. However, cut it down and it will grow from the stump readily, thus I am not worried about a freeze killing them per se. As for flavor, I think the katuk has a better flavor, nuttier and goes will in salads.

Bookmark   May 5, 2005 at 3:53PM
tiresunltd(z9 CA)

Yep that's the one. the flowers must be cooked. Bought 3. planted one and it died instanly (clay soil) the other 2 I left in planters and they died back but roots are Ok. Found a sight and they had anuals and 8 have already sprouted. Have never heard of a Katuk, where might I find one. Kathy

Bookmark   May 5, 2005 at 4:33PM
baci(z10Ca)

There are different species from moringa from different parts of the world. Here is a site that discusses them:

http://www.mobot.org/gradstudents/olson/moringahome.html

I pre-sprout my seeds. Pests such as rats like to eat the seeds, so they need to be watched when young. Some varieties will fruit the first year.

Bookmark   September 4, 2005 at 8:52AM
More Discussions
Do Carpathian Walnuts and Butternuts Cross Pollinate?
It's probably been asked before, however, I couldn't...
nyRockFarmer
Asparagus setaceus root, has anyone seen it?
i think that what i have here is a big size Asparagus...
preppystud
Edible small trees that can be used as ornament trees
As stated in the title, I am looking for suggestion...
Novie
tasty aronia??
Has anyone had a tasty crop of aronia? I had bought...
lostman
Need advice for front-yard edible landscape
I am seeking advice on how to win over my neighborhood...
GrowMakeGive
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™