Inexpensive/ Reliable PH Tester HELP!

urbngrdnr(10b)June 6, 2012

Would anyone happen to know of an inexpensive and reliable ph tester? Something that's UNDER $40 (although $20 would be better!) & preferably semi-convenient to find? Or is that just asking for too much?

I'm pretty new to gardening and Home Depot & Lowes carry ph testers that have nothing but bad reviews; at least the reviews I've read so far.

PLEASE HELP!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
freki(5a)

I picked up mine in the garden center. You can get one-off kits for about $3 or one with 10 tests for about $7.

These are straightforward "litmus" testing kits, nothing high tech. Plants aren't so fussy that you need to worry about decimal places.

look for something like this:

http://chiotsrun.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/ph-testing-kit.jpg

Bookmark   June 12, 2012 at 10:31AM
terowan(8a--NC)

Use pH paper like USDA soil conservation service does with small increments between numbers.

Bookmark   June 15, 2012 at 1:17PM
jplayland

I wish there was a nice easy push button tester accurate to at least .25 PH, requiring no maintenance for under say $100. It sounds like that doesn't exist, and the best cheap PH tester seems to be the old school, limited reliability litmus strips or similar chemical color tests.

I just want something to monitor my blueberry's soil PH. I already know the original soil composition from multiple area's on my property, so PH is all I care about.

Is there any better alternative?

Bookmark   June 17, 2012 at 4:52PM
oceandweller(8B)

+1 on this... I have been looking for a while as well, all the cheap probe testers I have seen suck. I want this for blueberry as well as many other plants. It doesn't have to be into the decimal place, but close to it. I mean the difference in 4.1 vs 5 is noticeable, but 4.1 to 7.6 is huge.

Bookmark   June 18, 2012 at 8:12PM
More Discussions
loquats
This is a tree that seems to have some real potential...
lostman
Stevia the sugar plant!!!!
Health and safety In 2009, FDA considered "Rebiana...
moringaplace
Poncirus Trifoliata?
Anyone know anything about this plant, aka: Japanese...
trudyjean82
Beach Plum as Foundation Planting?
I'm going to buy a boyfriend for an existing Beach...
edlincoln
Looking for Kudzu roots to grow
Hello, I am looking for someone who can send me some...
Placebo
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™