Eating Nasturtium

mattjjd24(4 upstate NY)June 27, 2008

So I'm growing some nasturtium which is doing very well. I tasted a leaf... not sure I liked it so much. I wondered what were a few favorite ways people had to eat it. there are plenty of recipies on the internet, but I figured this would be the best place to find people who really know what they are talking about.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
natalie4b(7b GA)

They look beautiful in salads - both leaves and flowers. I love radishes, so the taste of nasturtiums is welcomed by me. My family enjoys mostly "presentation".

Bookmark   June 28, 2008 at 9:56PM
catlady4444(7)

try putting them in a sandwich with smoked mozzarella, tomatoes, basil, rosemary, and olive oil balsamic vinaigrette! (most ingredients from the garden, if possible!)
Ann

Bookmark   July 2, 2008 at 7:27AM
greenwitch(Sz19 SoCal)

Nasturtium petals make a very colorful and tasty pesto. The recipe was in the LA Times Food section a few years back - from a market farmer (in an article on LA area farmers markets).

Bookmark   July 9, 2008 at 7:33PM
caeebe(7)

I like to just eat them while I'm in the garden. I also really like them in an egg salad sandwich in place of watercress.

Bookmark   August 2, 2008 at 9:16AM
flora_uk(SW UK 8/9)

You can pickle the green seeds as a caper substitute. The leaves are nice rolled around a blob of any soft cheese.

Bookmark   August 13, 2008 at 4:56PM
lpinkmountain(5b/6a border PA)

It has a peppery radish taste. That's why it is used mostly as an garnish and to jazz up a blander dish. Not usually eaten plain on its own. I once went to a party where nasturtium flowers were served with a cream cheese/chive mixture piped into the flowers. Yum!

Bookmark   August 16, 2008 at 12:16PM
OKMoreh

For the leaves, any way that you would use watercress (if you would use watercress). The whole leaves can also be used in place of lettuce underneath something, preferably something small enough for the shape of the leaves to show.

The garden nasturtium is native to the Americas, and its botanical name is Tropaeolum, while the botanical name Nasturtium refers to a different European genus. Nasturtium officinale is the common watercress, and I think that Tropaeolum came to be called nasturtium because of the similarity in taste.

Bookmark   August 17, 2008 at 2:00PM
More Discussions
Paw Paw hybrids or not?
I've contacted a few nurseries in pursuit of PawPaw....
moontraveler
Looking for Kudzu roots to grow
Hello, I am looking for someone who can send me some...
Placebo
Crab Apple vinegar?
Has anyone made cider vinegar from crab apples? I have...
wy0mn
Ornamentals? Who needs them!
As I see it, the basic problem with edible landscaping...
Hermitian
Designing with fruit & citrus trees
OK. I've finished the list of fruiting trees and shrubs...
modern_miss
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™