Rhubarb : How much water does it need?

linnea56(z5 IL)June 11, 2013

I have a few other questions too. I know it prefers full sun. The variety is Valentine.

What is a typical diameter? My parents grew it but they had acres and I have only a suburban yard: I donâÂÂt recall how big they really get. This plant is in a gallon pot, and is leafing out and growing like crazy since I bought it 2 weeks ago, so it already looks pretty big to me. I could plant it in my main flower garden (raised bed) but I donâÂÂt know if it will gobble up territory.

I have been thinking those big lush leaves must mean it needs a lot of water. In the main garden it will get plenty of water, but have some dappled shade for part of the afternoon. I have an alternative location, where it could grow as wide as it wants, and look great with the other things: it gets more sun but it is hard to get the hose over there.

Thanks for your help!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lawanddisorder(6)

I acquired a garden that had been tended for decades by someone who moved away and there are bunch of left over rhubarb plants that are very healthy and I never water them. Not once. I'm sure they get some runoff from when I water stuff I've planted near them, but no direct watering by me. My biggest one is maybe 40 inches in diameter and about the same height. - no idea what variety... or what to do with them for that matter.

What to do you like to do with your rhubarb? I hear they are good in pies. All I've done with mine is munched on the stalks to verify they were actually rhubarb.

Bookmark   June 25, 2013 at 3:04PM
linnea56(z5 IL)

My grandparents grew it, and then my parents, when they took over the house. We never made it into pies. We just cut it up, boiled it with water and sugar, til it was an applesauce consistency. Then just ate it like that. It could be served over pound cake or angel food cake if you needed to dress it up. My Danish grandmother prepared a lot of fruits the same way. She called it âÂÂcramâÂÂ. As in, âÂÂBlackberry cramâÂÂ, or âÂÂRhubarb cram.â I have so idea what cram meansâ¦but IâÂÂm guessing sauce. I donâÂÂt have a recipe: when I finally have some to harvest, IâÂÂll wing it.

Bookmark   June 25, 2013 at 9:08PM
Jennifer_Ruth(Z 10, Sunset Z 23)

Rhubarb is good in lots of things. In fact, there are a number of cookbooks out there specifically devoted to the many ways you can cook it. Here is a link to some prize-winning recipes from the Lanesboro, Minnesota annual rhubarb festival. I haven't tried these particular recipes myself, but I assume they must be good if they won prizes.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rhubarb Festival Recipes

Bookmark   February 15, 2014 at 11:51PM
More Discussions
Stevia the sugar plant!!!!
Health and safety In 2009, FDA considered "Rebiana...
moringaplace
North star cherry tree size
I can't find any consistent info on this. Everyone...
shine0216
Crab Apple vinegar?
Has anyone made cider vinegar from crab apples? I have...
wy0mn
tasty aronia??
Has anyone had a tasty crop of aronia? I had bought...
lostman
Poncirus Trifoliata?
Anyone know anything about this plant, aka: Japanese...
trudyjean82
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™