rhubarb looks sad!

rookiegardener(z5IN)June 23, 2004

I transplanted a neglected rhubarb plant earlier this year. The stalks have always been puny (never harvested them per recommendations here). The leaves had looked very healthy, I just returned from a trip to find most of the leaves dying off, and what leaves are left are yellowing on the edges. Most of the puny stalks are now exposed because the leaves have died off. The ground has not been watered, only rain, which I think has been about right. They are next to tomatoes that I sprayed with fungicide. I hate to lose this plant, any ideas? Wondered if I should go buy a bag of manure at Franks and sprinkle on ground. Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
elvis

Yes! They are very heavy feeders. Try to keep them well watered, too. Well drained, fertile soil in partial sun works well for me. Mine looked puny this spring, so I spread a bag of manure around them, and within a couple of weeks they were growing like crazy.

Bookmark   June 24, 2004 at 11:16AM
rookiegardener(z5IN)

Okay I got the manure today, "how thick should I spread it" over the plant? Thanks again.

Bookmark   June 25, 2004 at 5:58PM
seraphima(z4 AK)

I plant rhubarb with several inches to a foot (!) of manure in the hill. (not covering them) They really are heavy feeders! They can stand a lot of nitrogen, and will not burn once roots are established.

Bookmark   June 29, 2004 at 6:43PM
More Discussions
where can i buy sea buckthorn?
I found one place online but they have only females....
knifer
Ornamentals? Who needs them!
As I see it, the basic problem with edible landscaping...
Hermitian
Need kudzu vine
Hello, I was wondering if anyone who live near kudzu...
Placebo
Good currant variety?
I'm looking to grow some currants but there are too...
dzr4
Asparagus setaceus root, has anyone seen it?
i think that what i have here is a big size Asparagus...
preppystud
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™