Flower

ChicagoDeli37June 13, 2013

How do I eat this not even sure if know what it is

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
melikeeatplants

It's nasturtium... the entire plant is edible (flowers, leaves, stems) I use it in a salad mix. The flowers are very spicy. People cook them also though.

Bookmark   June 13, 2013 at 11:37PM
zzackey(8b GA)

I just read you can make a tea out of the flowers for headaches. It has a peppery taste. Used fresh in salads. It is a climber. Provide it with a trellis and enjoy a multitude of flowers.

Bookmark   June 25, 2013 at 9:22PM
florauk(8/9)

Nasturtiums are more scramblers than climbers and don't have tendrils or other way of clinging. Some are bush varieties and do not produce runners. We eat them a lot in salads. The flowers taste rather different from the leaves. Don't put the flowers in the salad spinner as they will bruise badly. Leave them until the last minute before adding to your salad.

Bookmark   July 24, 2013 at 1:49PM
sandy2_gw

these are excellent! They make a nice jelly if you are into making jelly - for toast - don't have the kick to them as if eating them fresh and the jelly makes a nice orange color. I read that if you fertilize these plants you will not get all the flowers so don't fertilize. The hummingbirds love these plants so they are just a big hit around our house. And yes you can eat the whole flower, stem etc. Try them you will like them!

Bookmark   August 9, 2013 at 7:46AM
More Discussions
Looking for Kudzu roots to grow
Hello, I am looking for someone who can send me some...
Placebo
Asparagus setaceus root, has anyone seen it?
i think that what i have here is a big size Asparagus...
preppystud
Designing with fruit & citrus trees
OK. I've finished the list of fruiting trees and shrubs...
modern_miss
Need kudzu vine
Hello, I was wondering if anyone who live near kudzu...
Placebo
Edible Mycorrhizae Mushrooms
I have a wacky idea. Mycorrhizae mushrooms have symbiotic...
edlincoln
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™