Raspberry spacing?

kim0201June 18, 2009

I have a place in my back yard where I'd like to try some raspberry plants. It's in a corner & I can run them along the fence extending out from the corner approx 10 ft in each direction. Based on the recommended spacing of 3 ft between plants, I could put one plant in the corner & an add'l 3 plants in each direction for a total of 7 plants.

Does this sound reasonable? Am I allowing enough space or too much space? Will these 7 plants produce enough berries to even make it a worthwhile effort? It's just my DH & me at home now with an occasional visit from one of our DDs or my mother.

Appreciate hearing from those experienced with raspberries. Thank you.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
thebadseed(5B NJ)

I have ONE raspberry bush. It produces from about mid-June to September. Right now we're getting about a pint every third day. It started as a dying twig three years ago and is now about 6 feet wide by 5 feet high, although the canes are much longer and will trail all over the ground. I would plant fewer than you want, because you'll get a lot more volunteers - they're quite invasive (even if you like them). You might even want to put them in pots to contain their zeal. 7 plants, once they get going, would be enough to run a farm stand if they put out like mine.

Bookmark   June 22, 2009 at 7:36PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kim0201

Thank you badseed for your comments - I will definitely consider scaling back my plant #s based on your experience. I can always add more at a future date if I don't have the same experience.

Thanks again.

Bookmark   June 28, 2009 at 12:45PM
More Discussions
tasty aronia??
Has anyone had a tasty crop of aronia? I had bought...
lostman
Help! My edible forest garden is getting the better of me.
Hi, all! Late winter, a year and a half ago, I converted...
HarrietMcLeod
Need kudzu vine
Hello, I was wondering if anyone who live near kudzu...
Placebo
kiwi or grape up a pergola
Hello, we just had a pergola built, and this is my...
mingwei1
loquats
This is a tree that seems to have some real potential...
lostman
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™