WANTED: One-seeded Hawthorn (Crataegus monogyna)

like2gardenMarch 8, 2013

Hello,

I'm looking for a sapling of Crataegus monogyna commonly called One-seeded Hawthorn. This variety is not to be confused with English Hawthorn which is Crataegus oxyacantha (syn. Crataegus laevigata).

This plant has been classified by the California Invasive Plant Council (IPC) as "invasive" which is a shame since it is provides valuable habitat for several species of birds and it produces an abundance of bright red berries which make a tasty jam. The tender young leaves and flowers are also edible and can be used in salads or made into a tea. If anyone has any of these "invasives" that they would like to get rid of, I would be more than happy to pay for shipping.

Thank you very much,

Edward

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
brandon7 TN_zone(7)

Crataegus monogyna is environmentally harmful in California and maybe some other states, but it has not been determined to be harmful in Virginia (at least according to the Virginia Department of Conservation and Recreation and the SE-EPPC). If you lived in California, you'd be acting irresponsible (at least by most gardener's standards) by planting this plant. The story is quite different in Virginia.

You probably haven't posted your request in the best forum. This forum is about natives, and Crataegus monogyna is not a native anywhere in North America (which is where most readers of this forum live).

BTW, please do check to see if plants are invasive in your area before choosing to include them in your landscape. Invasives are exponentially-multiplying biological litter. Planting invasives (that are invasive to YOUR state or part of the country) is similar, or worse, to throwing trash out of your car window (except this trash multiplies!). Planting natives is a wonderful thing, but some non-native plants may also be great choices. It's up to you to check whether or not a plant is likely to be an asset or a detriment to your landscape and to the environment.

Bookmark   March 16, 2013 at 10:29PM
More Discussions
HAVE: Redring Milkweed seed availability for 2014
Hi Folks, I received seed of Asclepias variegata (Redring...
wildflowerman_2000
WANTED: wanted: 1-2ft eastern hemlock in nj area
I am looking for a small hemlock to transplant, preferably...
johniferous
HAVE: Black Locust - Ginger - Green & Gold
I am looking for Native Maryland plants. moss phlox,...
alscats
WANTED: Lysimachia thyrsiflora
I am looking for plants or seed of this wetland plant...
wildflowerman_2000
HAVE: Beautyberry, winter honeysuckle
Have Callicarpa Americana, Lonicera fragrantissima....
browneyedsusan_gw
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™