My first EL attempt

gcmastiffs(z10 Florida)July 17, 2006

This is Fruit Tree Hill, my first attempt at planting edibles as "landscaping." The plants are not as crowded as they appear in pictures, there is room to walk around them easily.

In this picture are various Musas, Papayas, Kampong Mauve Sugar Apple, three-lobed Chaya (Spinach tree), and "Florida Sweet" Barbados Cherry

This shows the room underneath. Papayas, Red Lime, Musas, Sapodilla. Many-lobed Chaya, Cinnamon, Mamey Sapote (which will eventually tower over everything else) and non-edible TriColor Stromanthe.

The same section, front view. The Ice Cream Mango on the left will be removed-it needs more direct sun.

What you can't see in the photos, are the Tamarillo, Coffee Arabicas and Ae Ae Musa. They are lurking in the shade of the tall Bananas. Easy to see when you walk up to the hill, but invisible in pictures.

Yes, I meant it to look like a tropical jungle(G).

Lisa

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gcmastiffs(z10 Florida)

Gee, it must look like kaka, to get such a response.

Thus, I banish this post to never never land..

I won't bother the "Edible Landscape" forum again, with an edible landscape.. The nerve!

Auuuhhhh...gone....

Lisa

Bookmark   July 22, 2006 at 3:28PM
dannyboquet(z9 So Louisiana)

Lisa,

Don't be offended. This forum is not very active. I check it every couple of weeks. I'm sure a lot of people have seen your pictures, but just have not taken the time to post back. I, for one, enjoyed the pictures. The plants looked healthy and well maintained. It does look very tropical and lush.

Bookmark   July 26, 2006 at 9:27AM
gcmastiffs(z10 Florida)

I'm not offended, I was just joking around on a boring afternoon. I wish this forum was more active, as I'd really like to see the Edible Landscapes of others. I bought two books on the subject, but they are geared more towards northern plants/plantings.

Have any photos of edible plantings to share?

Lisa

Bookmark   July 27, 2006 at 7:41AM
dannyboquet(z9 So Louisiana)

I need to borrow my daughter's digital camera and take some smapshots to post. I don't really plant in a landscaping way, but I do try to make the "orchard" look neat. If the rain stops long enough for me to cut the grass, I will try this weekend.

Bookmark   July 27, 2006 at 8:37AM
floridajane(Bonita Springs z10)

Lisa,
Now look at that-- I've caught another Florida gardener forum-hopping! Your edible landscaping looks GREAT! Did you envision that eventual wonderful mix of tiers and textures when planting or was it just killer good luck that everything grew up so beautifully together? I've got a very long chain-link fence to cover so perhaps you can give me some tips on creative companion planting?!

--Jane

Bookmark   July 29, 2006 at 9:40AM
jhl1654

Lisa
I always love to look at your pics. You like some of the same tropical fruit trees as I do. I've been learning from you about what can be grown in Florida . I especially like your container gardening pics

Bookmark   July 29, 2006 at 4:08PM
origamifox(5)

Hey Lisa,

Don't usually read this forum, but your edible garden is AWESOME!! Would you be willing to share some of your 3-lobed chaya? I'm interested in trying to grow it here in zone 5. I do have access to a greenhouse for overwintering. Just let me know if you could mail me a cutting or so.

Thanks!
Beth

Bookmark   August 24, 2006 at 9:50AM
gcmastiffs(z10 Florida)

Beth, yes I can mail you some. We have a hurricane coming, so I'll need to mail quickly. The Chayas may be history by midweek.

Email me your address at GCMastiffs at aol dot com.

Lisa

Bookmark   August 27, 2006 at 3:26PM
origamifox(5)

Lisa,

Thanks so much! I've sent you an email. Keeping my fingers crossed that the hurricane fizzles out before it reaches land!

Beth

Bookmark   August 28, 2006 at 8:18AM
More Discussions
Do Carpathian Walnuts and Butternuts Cross Pollinate?
It's probably been asked before, however, I couldn't...
nyRockFarmer
Designing with fruit & citrus trees
OK. I've finished the list of fruiting trees and shrubs...
modern_miss
Help! My edible forest garden is getting the better of me.
Hi, all! Late winter, a year and a half ago, I converted...
HarrietMcLeod
Edible small trees that can be used as ornament trees
As stated in the title, I am looking for suggestion...
Novie
pakistan mulberry problems
can you tell me what is wrong with me Pakistan mulberry...
anthonyaz
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™