Cottage gardens in Florida, no easy task!

goldenpond((Vero.Beach FL 9b))March 18, 2011

I enjoy seeing all your beautiful posts and though we have BEAUTIFUL flowers here the old cottage standbys don't always like our heat and humidity. But I have made my own Cottagey Florida garden!

Here is a link that might be useful: Springing to Life in the garden

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jkom51(Z9 CA/Sunset 17)

Great photos! Love the baby ducklings, so cute.

I've stopped worrying about the 'classic cottage garden flowers'. Many plants I grow (and probably you do too) were grown in costly greenhouses as 'exotics' by English gardeners.

They would have given their eyeteeth to be able to garden outside all year long, put their 'exotics' into the ground and not worry about freezing, and have roses all year long!

They grew what they could, and 'pushed the zone' with greenhouses. Any good gardener would love to have your or my problems, LOL.

Bookmark   March 19, 2011 at 11:45AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
loganlady

Your gardens are beautiful!! Love seeing your beautiful flowers and ponds. I especially love seeing your ducks and birds,etc...I also have the heat and humidity here but I grow hollyhocks as well. We have monsoon rain in the summer too...makes it more fun. I live in the mountains of north central Arizona at 4750 ele. in zone 7 so I have my own kind of cottage gardens here too. You are right...you just have to make your own kind of cottage flower gardens for your area. I get compliments from my neighbors all of the time about my flowers...it's been a hard road getting the beds ready and figuring out what will grow here but it's worth it.

Bookmark   March 19, 2011 at 11:49AM
More Discussions
Weekend Trivia - Saturday
Happy Saturday Morning, Cottagers!! Well, it's a grey...
midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
Anuual Hollyhock seed
I don't remember if I plant annual HH seed this Spring...
schoolhouse_gw
Jane's work in progress
Jane emailed me a picture of the project she's still...
aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
" Daffs eaten "
Hi, For quite awhile. I couldn't get on. Now this...
hollyhocker_123
Received my seeds today
So psyched !!! Can't wait for spring !!!!
Cenepk10
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™