identify Goumi vs Autumn Olive

sgt-pantiesJuly 16, 2014

Can someone tell be how to tell the difference between the Goumi vs the Autumn Olive plants? I find a lot of description for the later, and then lots of ads from nurseries wanting to sell the former. The physical traits described by the Wikipedia article for each seem to be same.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ediblelandscaping.sc(7b-8)

goumis have larger/sweeter fruit that hang on a bush 6-8ft tall Autumn Olive are small very numerous and are close to the branches on a taller bush 12-18ft. go with the goumi if choosing between the 2.

Bookmark   July 22, 2014 at 4:54AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fabaceae_native

You're right, the physical description is the same because they look almost identical. The flowering/fruiting characteristics are the only differences, in terms of ripening time (July for goumi and September for AO), fruit size (goumi much larger) and fruit production/organization (AO berries very numerous in clusters, goumi less numerous and spread out along branch). Many nurseries sell AO as goumi, and even reputable ones like Raintree and One Green World have conflicting pics and/or descriptions for goumi. So if it is goumi you want make sure everything matches up before you buy, otherwise you will be stuck with AO!

Bookmark   August 22, 2014 at 8:25AM
More Discussions
Good currant variety?
I'm looking to grow some currants but there are too...
dzr4
Need kudzu vine
Hello, I was wondering if anyone who live near kudzu...
Placebo
Looking for American elderberry
I am from Windsor, Ontario, Canada. I am looking for...
magg_ca
Ornamentals? Who needs them!
As I see it, the basic problem with edible landscaping...
Hermitian
Help! My edible forest garden is getting the better of me.
Hi, all! Late winter, a year and a half ago, I converted...
HarrietMcLeod
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™