Switching to Day Lilies

brigarif KhanApril 23, 2011

Hi,

I have been Breeding Amaryllis for the last fifteen years, now I would like to try my hand on growing Day Lilies.

Will a friend help me by exchanging seeds with amaryllis seeds or gift them to me.

Just put a few seeds in a postal envelope and post it at following address.

Brig. M Arif Khan

3/A-G-Gulberg II

Lahore

Zip Code 54660

Pakistan

E-Mail: brigarif@hotmail.com

Thanks Arif

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
najoba(8b)

I'd like to suggest that you go the the Lily Auction where you can buy daylily seeds for reasonable prices. Personally, I prefer those in which both parents are similar in appearance. I would be happy to suggest certain ones, if you are interested.

Here is the link: http://www.daylily.com/cgi-bin/auction.cgi?dispsd

I gave away all my seeds when we moved, so I don't have any at present. I won't have any more now until fall.

Nancy

Bookmark   April 25, 2011 at 8:06AM
nat4b(4)

I don't have any seeds, sorry. I was just wondering if it's really possible to just send seeds abroad in an envelope?? I thought it was prohibited.

Bookmark   April 25, 2011 at 3:02PM
sunny_daze_gardener(5 MI)

I think the seeds would sprout in the time it would take to send them to Pakistan. Just my opinion. I have had them come from Canada to Michigan and they were sprouted and died by the time they got here. This time of year when they are removed from the fridge,they are ready to sprout!

Nancy VB

Bookmark   April 25, 2011 at 5:17PM
najoba(8b)

The last several puchases of seeds from the Lily Auction remained in their little zip plastic bags and went unsoaked, etc. for more than a month due to illness. They did not sprout until I finally soaked them in distilled water and hydrogen peroxide. I was immensely pleased, as I thought I had waited too long. The resulting seedlings are all vigorously growing outdoors now.

I would think that an air-mail envelope to Pakistan would not take very long to arrive. It's worth a try.

Nancy

Bookmark   April 25, 2011 at 6:16PM
susanan_gw

Welcome Arif,I have seen your Amaryllis. Folks, this man has the gift of not one but two green thumbs. Sadly, I too have planted all my seeds. I will stop at the Post Office tomorrow and see about sending you some seedlings.I would be proud to have some of my plants growing in your beautiful gardens.Seeds will have to wait till the end of our summer, but the Lily Auction is a great place to find a wide variety of seeds.Best of luck with this new venture.

Bookmark   April 25, 2011 at 8:15PM
katlynn719(8b)

Hello Arif, I also grow amaryllis and daylilies from seed. Here are pics of both growing in the same seedling bed (but blooming at different times).

Amaryllis Seedlings - April 2011

Daylily Seedlings - June 2010

I'll send you some seeds tomorrow. Good luck with your new hobby!
Kathy

Bookmark   April 25, 2011 at 10:33PM
dementieva(Zone 9 - Houston)

Thumbs up for very cool garden comparison photos!

Nate

Bookmark   April 25, 2011 at 11:34PM
bambi_too(5 Ohio)

I will put together a package, but I cannot accept any in seeds in return because of our regulations. I have mailed daylily seed all over the world, it will allow me to put another pin in my map.

Bookmark   April 25, 2011 at 11:48PM
susanan_gw

I stopped by the Post Office and they could find no regulations against sending live plants to Pakistan. Arif, I will put together a colourful variety of seedlings and send them off the end of the week.Enjoy, Susanan

Bookmark   April 26, 2011 at 12:04PM
anna_in_quebec(z4 QC)

Arif - I too have seen your gorgeous amaryllis over at the forum. I bought waaaay too many seeds last year from the lily auction, and will happily share some with you. Of course they are all crosses.

@katlynnlily - how gorgeous!

Bookmark   April 26, 2011 at 2:55PM
brigarif Khan

WHAT A RESPONSE. I am overcome with joy. Gardening community is one big family having no barriers of country, race, culture or religion.
I have Amaryllis growing in my garden from seeds gifted to me by Maria, Cindee A, and Lora from USA and some of my seeds are growing in Far East.
Kathy, very nice garden, Anna, Susanan, Bambi & friend, I assure you I will take good care of your gifts.
Arif

Bookmark   April 28, 2011 at 11:46PM
bambi_too(5 Ohio)

I will be mailing next week, in view of what happened I hope all is well there.

Bookmark   May 7, 2011 at 4:23PM
brigarif Khan

Hello, Friends,
I can proudly say I am a Daylilly man now.
First I received seeds from cathy.I Floated 4 each fron 11 packs. On 4th day germination was visible and now they are in the pot. The remaining I am going to sow in trays like Amaryllis.
Yesterday I was delighted to receive a package from Susan containing 21 seedlings. They were all in excellent condition after 2 weeks of transit. I admire the way they were packed. Now I have also learned the professional method. All seedlings were in their individual pot within an hour. I plan to put them in ground coming Feb.
Thank you Kethy, Thank you Susan
Arif

Bookmark   May 12, 2011 at 2:31AM
susanan_gw

Dear Arif...I am pleased that the seedlings arrived in good condition. May their flowers bring you joy. Susan

Bookmark   May 16, 2011 at 2:20PM
katlynn719(8b)

Hi Arif, I'm glad the seeds germinated for you. Now you will be able to compare methods (floating versus trays) and see which works best for you. Very smart! Best of luck -
Kathy

Bookmark   May 16, 2011 at 5:25PM
najoba(8b)

Don't forget to send us photos once they bloom. We'd love to see them.

Nancy

Bookmark   May 16, 2011 at 11:09PM
brigarif Khan

Hello,Susan,Hello, Kathy
Progress report.
All seedlings survived and are doing well.

The seeds sown in pots did better than ones floated. Over all germination was poor, perhaps it was too hot. I saved some seeds for sowing in September.
Germinated seeds,

I would love to receive more gifts of seeds. Just put them in a sturdy envelope and post.
Regards
Arif

Bookmark   July 8, 2011 at 2:40AM

Those seedlings look a lot better than the sun-baked ones I was planting in Texas at the same time. :)

Nate

Bookmark   July 8, 2011 at 7:41AM
susanan_gw

Greetings Arif. Your seedlings look great,they are in good hands. Perhaps you could let us know what kinds of plants you are breeding for;yellows?oranges?pastels?toothed?ruffled?eyed?spiders???Does you climate allow you to grow dormant plants or just evergreen?Or are you growing a little of everything that comes your way to see what works best in you climate. I will certainly save some seeds to ship in the fall.Regards, Susan

Bookmark   July 12, 2011 at 12:12PM
brigarif Khan

Thanks to my friends, I am a dayliliy man now
What has bloomed so far,
From Daylilies 2012 From Daylilies 2012 From Daylilies 2012 From Daylilies 2012 From Daylilies 2012 From Daylilies 2012

It is a beginning others will be blooming soon
Arif

Bookmark   April 27, 2012 at 1:46AM

Wow, so are those all seedlings from the seeds that people sent you? You have some excellent looking flowers already.

Nate

Bookmark   April 27, 2012 at 7:25AM
sun_worshiper(FL 9b)

Very nice! That orange one is gorgeous! And I'm partial to the plain non-frilly yellows, so I love that second to last one.

I have seen your results on the Amaryllis page and you have provided some excellent insight into growing them outdoors. Are you mixing any of your daylilys with the Amaryllis? I am attempting it in one of my outdoor beds this year. The daylilies here start blooming just as the Amaryllis are finishing, so I'm hoping that mixing them in the same bed will extend the color display in that area to more of the year. Not sure yet if they will be good companion plants or not though.

Angela

Bookmark   April 27, 2012 at 10:19AM
katlynn719(8b)

Hi Arif - Pretty seedlings. Most impressive is the third one - purple, halo, midribs, gold edge, even teeth - you got it all on one bloom. It would look really pretty planted to the next one (pretty pastel with nice form). But my favorite color is the first one - oranges and reds really pop in the landscape. Great job! Isn't it exciting watching them bloom for the first time?
Kathy

Bookmark   April 27, 2012 at 12:14PM
terrene(5b MA)

Cool thread and nice seedlings! How interesting to see someone in Pakistan receive and grow on some seeds from this forum.

Bookmark   April 27, 2012 at 11:56PM
brigarif Khan

Thanks to Kathy and Susan for getting me started.

Bookmark   April 28, 2012 at 12:11AM
brigarif Khan

Todays arrival
From Daylilies 2012 From Daylilies 2012

Bookmark   April 30, 2012 at 2:42AM
blue23rose(6b IN)

I just saw this thread and love the way the journey of the seeds has unfolded. You have some beautiful daylilies.

Vickie

Bookmark   April 30, 2012 at 7:07AM
susanan_gw

Good Morning Arif, I have just finished planting this year's seedlings and will be sending you another box of leftovers.I will Email you when I have posted them. You have some very beautiful flowers...I am just a bit envious of your gardening talents. Regards, Susan

Bookmark   April 30, 2012 at 7:53AM
brigarif Khan

God bless you Susan, every morning there is a pleasent surprise for me and my day is made bright.
Todays gift

Looking farward to your next gift
Regards Arif

Bookmark   April 30, 2012 at 11:36PM
brigarif Khan

And today
The big one
From Daylilies 2012

From Daylilies 2012

The small one
From Daylilies 2012

From Daylilies 2012

Arif

Bookmark   May 1, 2012 at 11:10PM
katlynn719(8b)

Another great orange - congrats!
Kathy

Bookmark   May 1, 2012 at 11:49PM
brigarif Khan

New bloom From Daylilies 2012

Arif

Bookmark   May 3, 2012 at 1:13AM
susanan_gw

Arif, You package went into today's mail.All your lilies are keepers, but I am especially fond of the double peach. Please keep us up to date on newly opened flowers. Kathy...do any of Arif's flowers look like they are from your seeds? Regards, Susan

Bookmark   May 3, 2012 at 6:45PM
katlynn719(8b)

Susan, I have no idea. I can't remember what I sent. But if any are mine, I wish I'd kept them! Ha - just kidding! I'm happy for you, Arif.
Kathy

Bookmark   May 3, 2012 at 10:20PM
brigarif Khan

Todays surprise From Daylilies 2012 From Daylilies 2012

From Daylilies 2012

From Daylilies 2012

With regards to Susan & Kethy
Arif

Bookmark   May 4, 2012 at 12:52AM
susanan_gw

Kathy,I was thinking the same thing. My thumbs are green with envy.

Bookmark   May 4, 2012 at 9:19AM
brigarif Khan

The new of the day From Daylilies 2012 From Daylilies 2012 From Daylilies 2012

Thank you for your compliments Ladies.
Arif

Bookmark   May 4, 2012 at 11:21PM
brigarif Khan

New seedling blooms
6th May From Daylilies 2012

7th May
From Daylilies 2012

8th May
From Daylilies 2012

To share my delight with you.
Arif

Bookmark   May 8, 2012 at 3:01AM
houstmag

Arif you have some beautiful daylilies keep up the good work you have a talent for gardening in a difficult climate.
Linda

Bookmark   May 8, 2012 at 8:31AM
susanan_gw

Hello Arif,Thanks for sharing your photos. I am still many weeks away from first blooms on my seedlings,but I hope they are as lovely as their sister daylilies in Pakistan. Regards, Susan

Bookmark   May 8, 2012 at 6:40PM
brigarif Khan

Only the first flower of each plant is shown above and below, some siblings do look alike.
The new ones of today, From Daylilies 2012 From Daylilies 2012

From Daylilies 2012

That is all for today.
Arif

Bookmark   May 10, 2012 at 1:24AM
brigarif Khan

New ones since the last From Daylilies 2012 From Daylilies 2012 From Daylilies 2012

Arif

Bookmark   May 19, 2012 at 3:10AM
brigarif Khan

Sporadic Daylily blooms not enough to make impact in the garden but enough for in-door decoration. From Daylilies 2012 From Daylilies 2012

Arif

Bookmark   July 16, 2012 at 2:44AM
gardenofeden777(8a central Louisiana)

Amazingly beautiful! Many congratulations at being such a talented gardener, I believe you have 10 green thumbs!

Rena'

Bookmark   July 16, 2012 at 3:03AM
More Discussions
Marvelous "M" daylilies, let's see them!
It's time for the M daylilies and I actually have a...
sherrygirl zone5
Let's se those perfect "P" and "Q" daylilies!
It is time for the P and Q daylily pictures! I am cuious...
sherrygirl zone5
Joan Derifield or Man of Sorrows
I would love to have both of these, but I'm thinking...
ruthz
Another Houzz change-sending messages without following
I copied this post from Jasminerose4u in the rose forum....
KarenPA_6b
Those wonderful "W" daylilies, let's see them!
We would like to see all of the wonderfyl W dsylilies!...
sherrygirl zone5
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™