Breaking off scapes on new arrivals

ThomasTwinApril 22, 2013

Last year I broke off all the scapes on the new daylilies that either arrived with scapes attached or sent them up soon after.
But then most of the plants didn't bloom later that summer.
So this year, if the plant seems to be settling in, I'm letting them send up scapes as soon as two weeks after planting. One very expensive plant only had one bud open, the second bud is turning yellow and will soon fall off, but I got great fluffy pollen from the one flower to save for later this season.
Any thoughts? Experiences? I hate to miss a year of hybridizing when the newer plants cost so much money.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dementieva(Zone 9 - Houston)

I haven't really bought brand new plants for hybridizing, but I do normally let a new arrival bloom at least one flower so that I can be sure of its identity.

When you buy a new bare root plant and it puts up a scape, it's really your choice whether you want it to have a head start on blooming or a head start on growing. I wouldn't recommend setting pods on it, but obviously the pollen is perfectly good to use for hybridizing.

Nate

Bookmark   April 22, 2013 at 7:28AM
Nancy zone 6

I remember the first time I ordered from Maryotts my daylilies started sending out scapes right away that fall. I emailed Maryotts & Bill promptly replied that it was perfectly ok to let it bloom. They did quite well, so I have always done that since & have had no problem.

Bookmark   April 22, 2013 at 9:04AM
Julia NY(6)

I've had plants that came in with scapes but would only allow 1 or 2 buds to bloom before I cut the scape. Last year though, I got RAMBUNCTIOUS ROSIE (plus some others of Judy Davissons) and it bloomed and I cut the scape off then it bloomed again at which time I did set pod on it. Looking at how it has grown so far this year, it has not skipped a beat.
I'm thinking it all depends on the cultivar and how big it is when you get it and how early in the season it was planted. Just my thoughts.

Julia

Bookmark   April 22, 2013 at 12:48PM
floota

When new plants arrive, I will let them bloom to make sure it's the correct cultivar. Important -as you might not find this out for another year if you wait. sometimes the new ones are on a different timetable and want to rebloom during that first year. Usually I will cut rebloom scapes in order to let the plant establish more for the next year.

Bookmark   April 23, 2013 at 9:04AM
organic_kitten(8)

I always let one bloom open then cut any others the first year. It hurts, but I want the energy in the plant, not the blooms. But I have to see that first one.
kay

Bookmark   April 23, 2013 at 11:50AM
More Discussions
Emmerich Daylilies
These are some of the Karol Emmerich daylilies I grow...
Julia NY
Who's still on the forum?
Uneasy making. Is this still going to work for comments...
organic_kitten
Blooms...I need blooms....Winter is too long!
Have to have a few just to get by Front area Then the...
organic_kitten
How do I delete photo before it is posted?
If you upload a photo from your computer to a post...
Julia NY
Need some serious Daylily help
We are upgrading the front of the house with new railings...
msskriss
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™