hardy kiwi: jam or jelly recipes?

lmdw(Ottawa 5 ON)July 10, 2007

Hello fellow gardeners, I have been fortunate to inherit a mature hardy kiwi at my new home . . . I would love to make jam, jelly, or preserves of some kind with the harvest, but cannot find any recipes. Does anyone have any hardy kiwi recipes? One site said to use them like you would grapes - can anyone attest to that? Thanks in advance!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Daisyduckworth(Aust)

Sorry, no kiwi recipes - I think kiwis are protected animals. However, some kiwifruit recipes for you:

Kiwifruit Jam
1 kg kiwifruit
1/2 teaspoon citric acid
750g castor sugar

In a large saucepan bring kiwifruit and citric acid to the boil. Reduce heat, simmer until fruit is soft. add sugar, Stir until sugar dissolves. Increase heat; boil rapidly 15-20 minutes or until jam reaches 105°C. Remove from heat and remove scum. Cool for 15 minutes. Ladle into hot, sterilised jars and seal. Keeps for 3-4 months.

Kiwifruit Jellies
2kg kiwifruit, peeled
juice of 1 lemon
3 cups sugar
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 cup liquid pectin
green food colouring (optional)

Line a 20x25cm pan with wax paper. In a blender mix the fruit, lemon juice and 1 cup of the sugar. Pass the liquid through a fine strainer into a large saucepan. Add remaining sugar, stir well and bring to the boil. Add butter, stirring constantly, and boil for 3 more minutes. Remove from heat, stir in pectin and a few drops of green colouring. Pour into prepared pan and leave overnight. Cut into attractive shapes and roll in sugar. Store in a cool place in an airtight container with wax paper separating layers. Will keep for about 1 week.

Kiwifruit Chutney
2 kg kiwifruit, peeled and chopped
6 cloves garlic, chopped
350g sugar
300ml white wine vinegar
1 tablespoon fresh ginger, finely chopped
1 small chilli, chopped
2 teaspoons allspice

Simmer all ingredients together until thick, stirring frequently. Spoon into sterilised jars and seal. Serve with curry dishes.

Bookmark   July 22, 2007 at 12:48AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
denninmi(8a)

I made jam several years with my hardy kiwis -- I just used the recipe for strawberry jam which came with the pectin (I used Sure-Jel Lite), and I always add a splash of lemon juice if the recipe doesn't call for it.

The jam is excellent. You can also make a nice sauce or syrup by just cooking with sugar and lemon juice minus the pectin -- a little runny, but good for ice cream or pancakes.

Bookmark   July 27, 2007 at 7:45PM
More Discussions
Ornamentals? Who needs them!
As I see it, the basic problem with edible landscaping...
Hermitian
tasty aronia??
Has anyone had a tasty crop of aronia? I had bought...
lostman
Paw Paw hybrids or not?
I've contacted a few nurseries in pursuit of PawPaw....
moontraveler
kiwi or grape up a pergola
Hello, we just had a pergola built, and this is my...
mingwei1
Edible small trees that can be used as ornament trees
As stated in the title, I am looking for suggestion...
Novie
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™