Mammoth Red Rhubarb

scot(z5)July 18, 2010

I have exhausted every means I can think of. I really want to get some Mammoth Red Rhubarb, and the only nursery I could find that has it is in the UK and cant ship to the US. Does anyone know of a source?

scot

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
peachymomo(Ca 8)

I looked 'Mammoth Red Rhubarb' up in my encyclopedia of edible plants and couldn't find it among the other named cultivars, that is my best reference book on plants and if I can't find something in there I usually can't find it anywhere.

Sorry.

Bookmark   August 1, 2010 at 10:54AM
judyafoster_yahoo_com

I am interested in finding a source for mammoth red rhubarb. Have you had any luck? Please reply. Thank you for your help & efforts. Rob Foster

Bookmark   May 18, 2011 at 11:32PM
treebird101

I cant seem to even find this cultivar on any UK website. I see a cultivar called Giant Grooveless Crimson but I'm not sure if it is the same thing. Don't know how to get it. Did any of you get this cultivar yet? Thanks

Bookmark   December 20, 2013 at 1:14PM
floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK

I got lots of hits under that name just by Googling. But not any sources to buy it. Also known as The Giant, Stott's Mammoth or just Mammoth. I haven't found Stott's Mammoth but there is a Stott's Monarch at this site. They also list 'Giant'. Maybe they could help track it down for you?

Here is a link that might be useful: Rhubarb People

Bookmark   December 28, 2013 at 12:47PM
scot(z5)

i did finally find a source in the UK, so i ordered several varieties in addition that are not available here in the states. the roots never arrived, so customs must have blocked the shipment. ive given up. Michigan State University used to have it in their gardens but gave up on it as it wasnt robust here.

Bookmark   December 28, 2013 at 2:10PM
treebird101

Yeah I gave up on my searches for it. I think I'm going to go with the Valentine Rhubarb from Stark Bros. I had a nice robust crown of it at one point but one of my father in law's cows tramped on it in July and killed it dead as can be. It's red through out the entire stalk. I mostly have Victoria and a plant of Canada Red and Crimson red. I wish more varieties were available here in the US but I guess its the job of big government to block you from making rhubarb pie, LOL. Sorry about your loss scot, I would try the Valentine rhubarb.

Bookmark   December 30, 2013 at 10:51PM
More Discussions
tasty aronia??
Has anyone had a tasty crop of aronia? I had bought...
lostman
kiwi or grape up a pergola
Hello, we just had a pergola built, and this is my...
mingwei1
Designing with fruit & citrus trees
OK. I've finished the list of fruiting trees and shrubs...
modern_miss
Need kudzu vine
Hello, I was wondering if anyone who live near kudzu...
Placebo
North star cherry tree size
I can't find any consistent info on this. Everyone...
shine0216
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™