Anything wrong with this Chamaecyparis obtusa Crippsii

kmack17(6 NJ)June 19, 2014

I planted 2 Chamaecyparis obtusa Crippsii two years ago. One is doing great:

The other is not thriving. They're planted about 30 feet apart in the same soil with similar watering practices. The only difference is that the one not doing as well gets an hour or 2 more of direct afternoon sun:

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

interior browning is normal ... i would not be concerned about that.. per se ...

what i cant tell from the pix ... is it supposed to be whitish... or if its off color ... it sure looks like its growing vigorously ... if thats all new growth ...

2 hours more sun shouldnt be significant ...

i am wondering if you had drought last year... and it wasnt watered properly, having been a large transplant ... and if you had a bad winter.. how the exposures differed ... as they each have their own micro climate ...

ken

Bookmark   June 19, 2014 at 10:13AM
kmack17(6 NJ)

Definitely had a bad winter in NJ and it probably is more exposed to wind. I planted 10-15 trees/shrubs a year and a half ago, so I was pretty diligent with watering last summer, but I suppose it is a possibility. As long as nothing seems grossly wrong with it, I'll keep an eye on it.

Bookmark   June 19, 2014 at 11:39AM
EngineerChic

Hi - I'm not an expert but when I was preparing to plant a lot of conifers recently I learned that damage to the rootball can be invisible from the outside but really damaging to the plant. Things like accidentally bumping (dropping) the plant too hard on the ground can cause roots to crack in the rootball and that would increase the chance of death or "failure to thrive".

Maybe somewhere along his life, this one got knocked around too harshly and just needs more time to recover (and a little coddling in terms of checking the soil more often for optimal watering).

Good luck with him,
-EC

Bookmark   June 21, 2014 at 8:08AM
mikebotann(8a SE of Seattle)

It looks as if it is still making an adjustment to it's new location with a diminished rootball for it's size. The new growth looks healthy. The older, inner growth, is suffering. That's fairly normal in a transplant of this size with a less than perfect rootball. It just needs a little extra water than it's partner and should be OK in the future.
It's going to look bad for a while before it looks better.
Do you remember anything about the rootball when you planted it? Cracked real bad, smaller than it's buddy, or any large roots cut off?
Mike

Bookmark   June 21, 2014 at 1:21PM
kmack17(6 NJ)

Yeah, the rootball was noticeably smaller than the other. I guess the answer is water and patience. Thanks for the help.

Bookmark   June 22, 2014 at 11:27AM
More Discussions
Ghost (gray) Pine seedling
This March the wife and I found a Ghost pine (P. sabiniana)...
pasadena
Pinus Sabiniana from Crimea, Yalta
3,5 month 1 month. This is another pine. Pinus Sabiniana...
printnik
hardening off new plants from the PNW
do we.. in the cold north.. just slap them in the ground.....
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
Larix decidua 'Pendula' & Picea abies 'Spring Fire'
I am looking for Larix decidua 'Pendula'. I understand...
ladylotus
Quick growing - but not huge - conifers?
I'm looking for a few conifers to shield an unattractive...
lizzyd
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™