climbing spinach

enchantedplaceAugust 6, 2004

Found seed for climbing AKA Malibar spinach at a farm store this spring. It is an beautiful annual vine with edible leaves similar to spinach. The vines have covered a section of fence. It is also suppose to be a flowering vine but no blooms yet. The leaves are mild in flavor and can be used as a spinach substitute. Some research states it is being included in commercial salad mixes. EP

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
enchantedplace

Here is a photo of climbing spinach as background for herbs and cover for an unsightly foundation and fence area.

Bookmark   August 6, 2004 at 11:48AM
greenhummer(zone 5,Ohio)

The young leaves are great for a spinach salad. They look great on the fence!

Bookmark   August 6, 2004 at 8:40PM
reinbeaux(z8 WA State)

The red variety ('rubra') is a WONDERFUL burgundy color, fast grower, and very attractive (as well as edible)

Bookmark   August 13, 2004 at 1:19AM
donna_loomis

'Tis true, it's edible. But I would have to be VERY hungry before I eat it. I didn't like it raw, and it was pretty bad cooked, too. And I like EVERYTHING. As far as flowering goes, it has probably flowered and you didn't know it. The "flowers" never really open up. They're just tiny white ball shapes with a tinge of pink on the tips. It really is a lovely plant, though. And easy to grow. It keeps coming up in the gravel around my raised beds.

Bookmark   August 16, 2004 at 7:01PM
oldherb(z8 Oregon)

You discovered one of my favorite edibles! I think everyone should grow it...unfortunately the slugs and sow bugs have found it this year and are eating mine down to the nubbins...oh, well, there's always next year.

Bookmark   August 20, 2004 at 9:18PM
gonebananas_gw

There are certain types of arthritis or gout where the sufferers should not eat this plant I believe.

It has a kind of funny taste too, but grows in the heat unlike real spinach. And it is pretty.

Bookmark   August 22, 2004 at 5:00PM
newsAddict(6a)

I grew some of it this year, and couldn't hardly stomach it either, and I'll just about eat anything, too. Mine had a really slimy texture when chewed. I was surprised at how it just kept growing through the whole summer, though.

Bookmark   November 17, 2004 at 12:42AM
kquat(09)

Donna: I didn't know how to eat it until we travelled to China where they stir fried it with garlic. Since then, we eat it every day, it's good to treat constipation though.
Kim

Bookmark   June 23, 2008 at 11:36AM
mrssal007_gmail_com

We have the climbing spinach growing in our garden and it is prolific. A great salad vegetable as well as a substitute for spinach. It goes well with cheese in a spinach and cheese tart as well as quiche. We love it. And it is so easy to grow.

Bookmark   December 26, 2010 at 4:53AM
goudananda

I grew a green variety and found the larger leaves to be mucilaginous. I would chop them and use them in soups or stews. For salads or raw use I'd only grab the growing tips and smaller leaves. As part of a mix for salad I found it was fine but certainly not the tastiest plant I've ever had.

It's ornamental use is great and I think it's a wonderful plant to use on a trellis or fence. I'm not sure if different varieties taste differently but in sparing use it was good.

My favorite was harvesting pumpkins and making a coconut curried soup and pureeing the pumpkin in. I'd add some small leaves of the malabar into the soup for texture contrast and everyone loved it.

Bookmark   December 31, 2010 at 8:26PM
margot_case_pacific_net_au

I find if you just pour boiling water over the leaves for a short while, this is a better way than steaming or cooking. Then just add butter and pepper/salt - lovely!! Friends here when they see my plant do not believe me when I tell them its a climbing spinach.

Bookmark   March 7, 2011 at 6:16PM
More Discussions
Need advice for front-yard edible landscape
I am seeking advice on how to win over my neighborhood...
GrowMakeGive
Paw Paw hybrids or not?
I've contacted a few nurseries in pursuit of PawPaw....
moontraveler
Designing with fruit & citrus trees
OK. I've finished the list of fruiting trees and shrubs...
modern_miss
Poncirus Trifoliata?
Anyone know anything about this plant, aka: Japanese...
trudyjean82
Edible Mycorrhizae Mushrooms
I have a wacky idea. Mycorrhizae mushrooms have symbiotic...
edlincoln
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™