what trees bear fruit in coastal so cal?

krbiAugust 11, 2008

I just had my lawn and almost all plantings removed front and back. I am looking to replace with edible or regional plants. Also clumping bamboo for privacy screens. What trees produce edible fruit in my area - coastal So. Cal? I already have an established fig, persimmon and some kind of apple. Am especially looking for a pink blooming tree for the front, and whatever in the back. Pretty much full sun in both areas. Most books show my zone as hopeless. Please help.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cabrita(9b SoCal)

I have a couple of peach trees and a nectarine in zone 9, and lots of citrus. We have a plum in zone 10 and it is doing great.

Bookmark   September 11, 2008 at 6:57PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lifeinparadise

Here on the coast, the question is: WHAT WON'T GROW AND FRUIT here?
look around and you'll probably see commercial crops, orchards and vinyards of all types. There are vinyards in Paso Robles where it gets 120 and freezes, Strawberries in Santa Maria, lemons, oranges, apples, almonds, berries of all nature etc.
In my yard--and subject to little maintainance are grapes, apples, plums, peaches, aprocots, tangellos, and guava. Across the street are acres of avocados.
All I can think of that might be a restriction would you living in the desert but I think most grow there also, think of the crops that come out of Mexico!
cheers;
Michael

Bookmark   September 14, 2008 at 12:20PM
More Discussions
Designing with fruit & citrus trees
OK. I've finished the list of fruiting trees and shrubs...
modern_miss
Help! My edible forest garden is getting the better of me.
Hi, all! Late winter, a year and a half ago, I converted...
HarrietMcLeod
sunchoke, jerusalem artichoke
hello. i live in michigan. never had sunchoke before,...
anikomaier
Good currant variety?
I'm looking to grow some currants but there are too...
dzr4
Stevia the sugar plant!!!!
Health and safety In 2009, FDA considered "Rebiana...
moringaplace
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™