arugula seeds - edible?

surf_grrl(coastal Van Isl)August 28, 2003

I posted this query on the garden experiments forum, with no reply - hoping for better success here... Are arugula seeds edible? I toasted some the other day, and they were very nice! Just don't know if I ought to continue eating them (would be nice on, say, a carrot salad).

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Daisyduckworth(Aust)

I haven't heard of using the seeds for culinary purposes, but the flowers are edible. I hope you're using seeds you've harvested yourself, and not seeds from a packet intended for propagation purposes. You should never eat such seeds, from any plant, because they are often chemically treated, and are processed in such a way that hygiene standards may not come up to 'food hyiene' levels. I think we should investigate further.

Bookmark   August 29, 2003 at 6:09PM
surf_grrl(coastal Van Isl)

They are, in fact, my own seeds. I was gathering them, hoping to plant them next year, and thought, hmmm.... wonder what these would taste like...

Bookmark   August 30, 2003 at 12:35PM
adrianag(AL z7)

I would say that yes they are...just be sure to use untreated arugula seeds. I grow microgreens with arugula and have taste the just-sprouted seeds and they are wonderful. Have never treid them unsprouted.

Bookmark   September 2, 2003 at 6:49PM
flora_uk(SW UK 8/9)

Green radish seed pods are a well know salad ingredient. Arugula is closely related and I should imagine they are quite tasty too. Probably a bit peppery. I'll try some next time I'm down at the plot.

Bookmark   September 3, 2003 at 4:53PM
surf_grrl(coastal Van Isl)

Thanks for the replies! They are quite peppery. When toasted in a frying pan, they are peppery with a bit of a nutty taste. Very nice.

Bookmark   September 4, 2003 at 11:08PM
spoonplayer(z6 PA)

surf grrl, would you mind telling me how to harvest arugula seeds? Mine have lots of flowers, but I can't figure out where the seeds are.

Bookmark   May 30, 2004 at 12:32AM
littledesertrodent(z1 AK)

Those seeds are actually usually pretty easy to spot. Mine used to show up in brownish colored seed pods after the flowers were gone.
ldr

Bookmark   June 1, 2004 at 11:47PM
spoonplayer(z6 PA)

Thanks LDR, maybe I just have to wait a little longer.

Bookmark   June 2, 2004 at 10:02PM
segesvar(5)

Arugula seeds are definitely edible and good. They are used in Indian and Persian cooking, called "Gargeer" there. We like to add them to bean pots and stews, they impart a nice spicy flavor and a bit of mucilagenous texture.

Bookmark   August 29, 2004 at 2:00AM
plainjane40(z8/9TX)

Wow, gargeer. I had no idea!

Bookmark   November 14, 2004 at 7:25PM
jjstoyfarm

So to harvest Arugula seeds you need to wait till the pods turn brown? Then you harvest them to have seeds for next year or do they repopulate themselves. My Arugula pods are green but it's still flowering.

Bookmark   July 21, 2008 at 12:16PM
segesvar(5)

Yeah, let the pods nearly dry on the plant, and you can then cut and dry them a little more; the seeds are easy to extract when you crush the dry pods. Arugula will definitely self-seed too, and chances are you'll get volunteers if you let the seeds fully develop on the plant. The white flowers are attractive to bees, butterflies and even hummingbirds, so I enjoy growing them out.

Bookmark   July 20, 2011 at 11:50AM
tsugajunkie z5 SE WI

There is also the wild Italian heirloom arugula (Diplotaxis tenuifolia) with yellow flowers that can be perennial here but also reseeds readily. Never tried eating the seeds though.

tj

Bookmark   July 28, 2011 at 10:22PM
IsleWalker

I bought 6000 microgreen arugula seeds. I really didn't understand how SMALL they are. I am interested in growing them year-round. Can microgreen arugula self-seed or is this some special seed production that doesn't self-seed?

If I just leave them in the ground past the first leaf stage, what happens?

IsleWalker

Bookmark   July 31, 2011 at 2:17PM
FaithWatson

I just came in from the garden, lugging old arugula plants because garden expert told me I had to pull them up and plant new ones. Your posts have changed my whole approach! Thank you! I'm leaving the old stalks to reseed themselves and taking the flowers and seed pods from these plants for tonight's SALAD!! Thank you!

Bookmark   July 15, 2014 at 9:05AM
More Discussions
Paw Paw hybrids or not?
I've contacted a few nurseries in pursuit of PawPaw....
moontraveler
Yew
Are yew berries poisonous? I know the seed is, but...
CaptMicha
Edible Mycorrhizae Mushrooms
I have a wacky idea. Mycorrhizae mushrooms have symbiotic...
edlincoln
Stevia the sugar plant!!!!
Health and safety In 2009, FDA considered "Rebiana...
moringaplace
pakistan mulberry problems
can you tell me what is wrong with me Pakistan mulberry...
anthonyaz
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™