is this wild ginger? can I eat it? what species is it?

the_alpha_wolf_rules(z7 NC)August 9, 2004

well, the title is self explenatory

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
larry_gene

The wild ginger around here has a rounder leaf and a maroon/brownish flower. Get a bit of basal stem or root piece and see if it is "gingerish".

Bookmark   August 10, 2004 at 1:06AM
swvirginiadave(z6 VA)

A species of Hexastylis. Does the crushed leaf have a strong sassafras like odor? Smells good but don't eat any of the wild gingers (Asarum/Hexastylis). Yes, people used to use them sometimes as a ginger substitute but they contain a liver toxin.

Bookmark   August 11, 2004 at 7:15AM
Judy_B_ON(Ontario 5B)

If you don't recognize a plant and have to ask what it is, do not eat it. You need to get a good field guide with a key like Newcomb's before risking eating something.

The plant picture you posted does not look like Wild Ginger (Asarum canadense). Even it is, wild ginger is not related to the ginger(Zingiber officinale) found in grocery stores and is dangerous to eat. Although wild ginger is used in some herbal supplements it is known to cause cancer and kidney failure and deaths have resulted from its use.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pictures of Wild Ginger

Bookmark   August 11, 2004 at 2:23PM
swvirginiadave(z6 VA)

What you have pictured is a Hexastylis which used to be included in the genus Asarum I believe. The species/subspecies divisions are confusing to me. Most of these have a strong, pleasant odor in the leaf and they have fleshy roots but not a spreading rhizome like Asarum canadense. The later has fuzzy, rounded, essentially odorless leaves. All have been called wild ginger but A. canadense is what is usually referred to as wild ginger. Its rhizome was used as a flavoring. Hexastylis species are commonly called "little brown jugs" and are common in the woodlands of piedmont North Carolina. You'll see A. canadense in mountainous regions of North carolina. (I lived in NC years ago). Unfortunately not everything that tastes good or was used traditionally is safe to consume.

Bookmark   August 12, 2004 at 8:12AM
PuraVida(Costa Rica)

I like the leaf a lot, I wouldn't eat it. I'd try to keep it for the foliage in my garden. cool pict

Bookmark   August 26, 2004 at 10:36AM
More Discussions
Do Carpathian Walnuts and Butternuts Cross Pollinate?
It's probably been asked before, however, I couldn't...
nyRockFarmer
Beach Plum as Foundation Planting?
I'm going to buy a boyfriend for an existing Beach...
edlincoln
tasty aronia??
Has anyone had a tasty crop of aronia? I had bought...
lostman
Asparagus setaceus root, has anyone seen it?
i think that what i have here is a big size Asparagus...
preppystud
Paw Paw hybrids or not?
I've contacted a few nurseries in pursuit of PawPaw....
moontraveler
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™