HAVE: wildflower seeds

kizzyseeds(Z7b VA)August 3, 2012

I took a stroll along the tracks today and collected these:

Daucus carota (Queen Anne's Lace)

Verbascum phoeniceum (Purple Mullein)

Plantago lanceolata (Narrow leaf Plantain)

Bird's Foot Trefoil

Cirsium arvense (Field Thistle)

Verbascum thapsus (Wooly/Moth Mullein)

And I'm not sure of this last one, but it looks like Melampodium leucanthemum, 1" yellow daisy-like blooms, narrow leaves, 12" tall in neat mounds. They don't look as dense or full as regular butter daisies.

I'm new to collecting wildflowers, which is a sad confession for a seasoned seed scavenger and plant pirate like myself:)

Peek at my list for other seeds, will do SASBE on these if you don't have any seeds I need. Thanks flower buds.

Sharon

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kizzyseeds(Z7b VA)

Well, I've been researching for 2 days to ID that pretty little yellow flower, and I'm still guessing. The bloom is less than 1" and there is a central stem with a few lateral ones. It's not dense but forms a neat mound. The leaves are very linear, similar to fennel or dill. It may be a Packera or Senecio, but not a Cressleaf Groundsel, maybe some sort of Composite or Butterweed. The beneficials were all over it.
I tell you, the RR tracks are a good place for wildflowers.
I saw the EBST laying eggs on the QAL this morning, and there are Skippers and Buckeyes everywhere. I think some grain must have fallen off a railcar, now there are big patches of wheat (yeah, I got seeds)! Also Oenothera biennis and Bird's Foot Trefoil blooming in great amounts.

I don't get stumped often, but if yall have any ideas about the yellow flower, plmk. Sorry I can't take a photo.
I'll SASE these for you, flower buds:)
Sharon

Bookmark   August 4, 2012 at 1:08PM
Plantwhisper(8-9)

Hi Sharon,

Wow, I want all that. I have lots of natives I haven't listed yet like,cherokee rose, plantago major, apios americana, several ferns, white rainlillies, several coreopsis, Perilla, different violets, several legumes, mazus repens, ground ivy, etc. Dahoon holly, Persimmon, Possomhaw, ground cherry. Some water plants. See my list, too.
Can the yellow flower be Pineapple weed or bitter weed ? Maybe golden cordalis? I'm thinking of plants that have ferny leaves.
Thanks,
Susan

This post was edited by Plantwhisper on Thu, Sep 12, 13 at 16:40

Bookmark   September 12, 2013 at 4:22PM
msbeffers

I'd love to have some of all your wildflower seeds. I'll be glad to send you a SASE.

Bookmark   October 15, 2013 at 8:05PM
More Discussions
WANTED: Ribes cynosbati
I am interested in acquiring a seedling or ripe berries...
KMD_KMD
WANTED: have: helianthus decapetalus ten petal sunflower nj
I have many Helianthus decapetalus seedlings I plan...
Elly_NJ
HAVE: Showy Milkweed seeds for sase in pnw
Hi Everyone, We have a project to get as much milkweed...
nankeen
HAVE: Free Loblolly Pine Tree Seedlings
Giving away 100,000 (one hundred thousand) 1-year-old,...
pinetreelover
HAVE: Redring Milkweed seed availability for 2014
Hi Folks, I received seed of Asclepias variegata (Redring...
wildflowerman_2000
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™