Kiowa Blackberries

Joeray(Z9 LA)August 4, 2004

I just read an article on the Christian Science Monitor website which really praised Kiowa Blackberries. Has anyone had experience with this variety. I've never grown blackberries but may try if this variety is all it's cracked up to be.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
larry_gene

Post this on the Fruit & Orchards forum for best response.

Bookmark   August 6, 2004 at 3:48AM
lucky_p

Planted some this spring, based on the recommendations of a fellow fruit enthusiast. They made a few big berries this year. Here's my friend's recommendation, from the NAFEX discussion list, back in '99:

"At Southern Fruit Fellowship Meeting in Jan 1999 in Savannah (as part of GA Fruit and Veg Growers Meeting) a bramble session had discussion on blackberries. John Clark of U. of Ark spoke of several new releases from their program. Kiowa was released last year(1998) and has 10-12 g berries, which are twice the size of Triple Crown, Choctaw, Navaho, Chester, etc. I put in 10 Kiowa this spring and was impressed with the vigor of growth and berry size. Now have canes 8-12 feet in length with no irrigation beyond mid-June. UA also released two new ones this year, Apache (8-10 g, thornless) and Chickasaw (10 g, thorny). Apache is more vigorous in trials as compared to Arapaho and Navaho. Gerard Krewer, with U. of Georgia extension, also has a U-Pick bramble place in south Georgia. He is impressed with Kiowa at 10-12 g, and so are his customers, as one can pick a gallon "in a few minutes" according to Krewer. Clark calls these a "two-bite berry".

Bookmark   August 6, 2004 at 5:00PM
dave_pacifichazelnut_com

Just received some Kiowa Berry jam from a company on the coast. I will be selling it in my retail store in Aurora, Pacific Hazelnut Farm Candy Factory. Can someone tell me about the berry and similar flavor to other Oregon berries?
This information will help with tourist and local questions.

Bookmark   March 17, 2011 at 4:30PM
More Discussions
pakistan mulberry problems
can you tell me what is wrong with me Pakistan mulberry...
anthonyaz
Need advice for front-yard edible landscape
I am seeking advice on how to win over my neighborhood...
GrowMakeGive
Ornamentals? Who needs them!
As I see it, the basic problem with edible landscaping...
Hermitian
where can i buy sea buckthorn?
I found one place online but they have only females....
knifer
loquats
This is a tree that seems to have some real potential...
lostman
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™