elderberry soil toxicity

Joan_From_Zone_6(Z6 KY)September 30, 2004

i've been told elderberry bushes affect surrounding soil to the extent other types of plants will not do well (much like black walnut) -

old wives tale or fact?

thanks !

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
reinbeaux(z8 WA State)

Elderberry stems and roots contain cyanide so I would say true. I grow all of mine in containers - probably could google it and find out more information

Bookmark   October 1, 2004 at 1:05AM
elder(6VA)

When dealimng with things biological - NEVER SAY NEVER, NEVER SAY ALWAYS . I have a stand of american elderberries and growing in and alongside are quite a variety of plants: barberry, physostegia, tomato, grass, silver dollar, etc., etc. There is an old British myth that if you sleep under an elderberry tree you will receive a narcotic effect from the fragrance emmited by the plant; this same fragrance is said to be fatal to other plants. Perhaps this is where the idea came from.
Of course, next will be an email from an expert with the USDA and it will state unequivicolly(sp)that plants will either not grow under elderberry, or their growth will be retarded, and in which case I will have to go outside and tell all those plants that they are not doing what they are supposed to be doing.....Elder

Bookmark   October 1, 2004 at 4:23PM
larry_gene

I am familiar with both red and blue elderberries native to the Pacific Northwest; they tend to grow on the edge of clearings and are often closely surrounded by other plants.

Elderberry is not allelopathic like black walnut.

Bookmark   October 2, 2004 at 3:33AM
chervil2(z5 MA)

My elderberry plants are surrounded by a variety of garden plants as well as the lawn. I do not see a toxicity effect in the vicinity of the elderberries.

Cheers!

Bookmark   October 15, 2004 at 8:00PM
Daisyduckworth(Aust)

I'm coming in late on this one, but I've noticed that nothing else will grow where the roots of my elder tree are. And I've tried LOTS of different things, even mints.

Bookmark   October 25, 2004 at 2:10AM
flora_uk(SW UK 8/9)

Elder is very common in hedgerows over here and it is invariably surrounded by a mixture of other shrubs and plants. I have a hedge which includes, apart from elder, hawthorn, sloes, dogwood, brambles and field maple. At its base grow daffodils, many grasses, stinging nettles, red campion, aquilegia, forget-me-nots and a lot of other wild flowers. So even if some things possibly don't like to be near it there are plenty of plants which couldn't care less. They thrive in heavy soils with plenty of moisture so maybe NSW is not their optimum habitat and they therefore take a lot of the goodness from the ground around them. (All this refers to Sambucus nigra.)

Bookmark   October 30, 2004 at 10:02AM
More Discussions
Need advice for front-yard edible landscape
I am seeking advice on how to win over my neighborhood...
GrowMakeGive
Poncirus Trifoliata?
Anyone know anything about this plant, aka: Japanese...
trudyjean82
Asparagus setaceus root, has anyone seen it?
i think that what i have here is a big size Asparagus...
preppystud
Looking for American elderberry
I am from Windsor, Ontario, Canada. I am looking for...
magg_ca
sunchoke, jerusalem artichoke
hello. i live in michigan. never had sunchoke before,...
anikomaier
Sponsored Products
Braxton Sofa - Bentley Daisey Yellow
Joybird Furniture
Brook and Hunter Hand Tool Fork with Chain - 14010-F
$49.95 | Hayneedle
Cappuccino Mission Trundle Bunk Bed
$449.99 | zulily
Dutailier Contemporary Maple Wood Grand Glider and Nursing Ottoman Combo Multico
$769.99 | Hayneedle
Ephesus Collection Animal Zebra Print Contemporary Runner Rug (1'10 x 6'10)
Overstock.com
Red Insulated Beverage Bottle Wrap - Set of Two
$7.99 | zulily
Sanders Leather Bar Stool - Brighton Aubergine Purple
Joybird Furniture
Awntech Beauty-Mark New Yorker 3 ft. Window/Door Awning - RN22-3B
$286.71 | Hayneedle
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™