Spring, Wonderful Spring!

organic_kitten(8)March 20, 2011

I have enjoyed all of the bulbs blooming so much. I was sick of planting in fall, but the payoff has been wonderful!

kay

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
christinmk z5b eastern WA

Very nice indeed! What type of Iris are those? Some bulb type right? Such a wonderful shade of blue- they really go well with those pinky daffs.
CMK

Bookmark   March 20, 2011 at 8:47PM
newyorkrita(z6b/7a LI NY)

The garden looks great and the bulbs are so worth it. Your plantings of tulips alone are just too pretty. I know exactly what you mean about being sick of planting bulbs in the fall but it sure makes one look forward to all those blooms come spring.

Bookmark   March 20, 2011 at 9:51PM
organic_kitten(8)

I know you do know, Rita,and yours will be blooming soon. It sounds as if you will have a lot more of the dutch iris than I will when yours so bloom.

christinmk, the iris are dutch iris...they are very inexpensive, and give a lot of "bang for the buck." I think 25 bulbs are about $4.25 or so, larger quantites are even cheaper. They are available in a somewhat limited selection of colors, but they are lovely. Thank you for looking.

kay

Bookmark   March 21, 2011 at 10:29AM

If anyone is interested in Dutch Iris bubs, I think Scheepers has the best selection of colors. They have lots of them and a mixture of colors too that one can buy. DR bulbs themselves are small and really remind me of onion sets (all my years of veggie gardening are showing).

Kay- Although I planted hundreds of them, the folliage is so fine looking (as in there is not much to it) that it really doesn't look like there are so many. But I hope the blooms have a big impact when they finially bloom.

Bookmark   March 21, 2011 at 11:05AM
aimeekitty(9-10, SW 18)

wow, those tulips are just like GLOWING! wow!

Bookmark   March 21, 2011 at 11:37AM

I am not sure which of your tulips I like better. I really love the way you planted the pink and dark purple tulips making a great combo. I usually go for mixes. But last year I did go for individual varieties. Problem is by the time I got to planting them (planted all the mixes in mass first) I was so tired that I just planted them and didn't mark anything. I mixed them all up too I think so I don't have groupings of one solid color.

I like the way you did it in groupings of an indivual color and hope to copy your effect with more tulips this fall.

Bookmark   March 21, 2011 at 12:57PM
backyardgrown(7b-8 NW MS)

I know the feeling. I moved about 500 bulbs this fall and planted an additional 200 or so. As if I didn't have enough to do, I also dug up some stuff this spring to transplant into my bulb beds.

Bookmark   March 21, 2011 at 2:44PM
More Discussions
Garden critters
Here are some of the local fauna who stopped by the...
loisthegardener_nc7b
Backyard birding
Last fall i had posted that i was having trouble attracting...
Lilyfinch z7 mid tn
Introduction! (plus a question about gaura)
Hello, all! I'm new to the forum, but have been gardening...
michellecoxwrites
Forum changed ALOT
OMGosh, this whole forum completely changed! WHen did...
todancewithwolves
Weekend Trivia - Saturday
Good Saturday morning, Cottagers!! A few of us having...
midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™