Two kiwis on one trellis?

cheyjohn_z5(6)September 5, 2004

I have very small, new kiwi plants and I am wondering if it would be ok to plant them on the same trellis? I know I have a male and a female (varigated hardy kiwi). The second trellis I have is about 15 feet away but I really wanted to put something else on it since I have a very tiny yard.

Chey

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
reinbeaux(z8 WA State)

I've seen pairs of kiwi on the same trellis many times and it seems to work well. I would definitely keep them identified in case you decide to move them / one needs replaced / or you want to take cuttings from them.

Bookmark   September 5, 2004 at 2:36PM
cheyjohn_z5(6)

Thanks. You mean identified by male/female, right? I don't know which is which now. I think I figured that the larger was the female and the smaller was the male from something I read. I don't even know if these are going to make it. They don't look all that great to me, but it could be that they are just a bit weary from travel and transplant.

Chey

Bookmark   September 5, 2004 at 3:17PM
reinbeaux(z8 WA State)

When they flower you can identify them - definitely keep them identified (if possible) to which is female and which is male.

Bookmark   September 5, 2004 at 9:31PM
cheyjohn_z5(6)

Thanks, I will do that. I just hope they survive.

Chey

Bookmark   September 6, 2004 at 6:10PM
hemnancy(z8 PNW)

I saw a mature fuzzy kiwi being grown on a tall (10-12') stake as though it were a tree, so I am growing 2 hardy kiwi's that way since garden structures are a challenge for me. My female has fruited the last 2 years. They do send out long trailers but they can be trimmed back in fall since they fruit on new wood. I think Arguta kolomitka, the variegated one, is less vigorous even.

Bookmark   September 13, 2004 at 4:20PM
october17(5chgo)

cheyjohn - I hope your kiwis survive! I didn't think I could grow them here in Z5. I tried one year. They grew pretty nice all summer, but none came back after winter. Are yours a cold hardy type?

Bookmark   December 10, 2004 at 9:24PM
alitin(Chicago Z5b)

I Have no problem over wintering in Chicago. You must have had the wrong variety for the zone

Bookmark   March 22, 2005 at 8:06PM
cheyjohn_z5(6)

October17, sorry it took me so long to see your post! The ones I have are supposed to be cold hardy. I keep checking to see if they are coming up, but haven't spotted a sign of them yet.

Chey

Bookmark   April 3, 2005 at 8:14AM
oklahawg(NE OK z6-7)

The growth is vigorous. Be prepared to prune the male plant to one-fourth the size of the female to make the growth more manageable and still have pollination.

Bookmark   April 3, 2005 at 11:37PM
cheyjohn_z5(6)

Thanks for the tip. I will keep this in mind!

Chey

Bookmark   April 4, 2005 at 6:09AM
chills71(Zone 6b Mi)

Mine haven't broken but yet either, but I know they're fine (they were late last year too).

Mine will be three-four years old next year (some 3, some 4) and I'm hoping to see some flowers this year (and fruit, don't want to eat the flowers...lol). I've got mine 4 females and 3 males growing on a 7' by 10' by 1 1/2 foot arbor. I also have a Canadice grape growing up the side the male kiwi are on (it has already fruited, last year).

They're vigorous, but nothing compared to the Sweet Autumn Clematis I have on another arbor. It could eat the kiwi and grapes alive and not even look back.

~Chills

Bookmark   April 4, 2005 at 6:04PM
cheyjohn_z5(6)

My male is growing like crazy up the trellis. The female is just a wee thing a few inches tall. I am hoping to see some fruit this year. No flowers yet though, but maybe it's just too early? Should I prune the male, or even the female at all?

Chey

Bookmark   June 26, 2005 at 8:55AM
More Discussions
pakistan mulberry problems
can you tell me what is wrong with me Pakistan mulberry...
anthonyaz
Help! My edible forest garden is getting the better of me.
Hi, all! Late winter, a year and a half ago, I converted...
HarrietMcLeod
Looking for American elderberry
I am from Windsor, Ontario, Canada. I am looking for...
magg_ca
Stevia the sugar plant!!!!
Health and safety In 2009, FDA considered "Rebiana...
moringaplace
North star cherry tree size
I can't find any consistent info on this. Everyone...
shine0216
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™