My New Edible Formal Garden

natureboy8888September 6, 2009

Hi Gang,

I just wanted to share what I accomplished in my edible landscaping - well it's really more formal than landscape. I turned my front yard into a formal edible garden. I kind of wanted to prove that you can have an edible formal garden that's just as beautiful (and more useful) as an ornamental garden. I put up a blog showing the progress of the transformation, you can find it here...

Allan Family Garden

Here's a before picture:

Here's a few after pictures:

More pictures and stories on the blog.

-Bryan

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jekyll(New Zealand)

It looks very nice and suits the house well. I originally thought about having a formal design for my garden, but in the end the space was too asymmetric to suit it, so I went for a curve-based design instead.

I love before and after pictures. I've got a few of my garden, which had to be completely redone after I had a digger in replacing a retaining wall. There link here is to the "before" shots (they are thumbnails, click to get a larger view). If you click the blog title it will take you to the most recent posts which show the "after". Of course it is only early spring here so it looks a bit bare, but hopefully in a few months it will be nice and lush.

Here is a link that might be useful: Before photos of my edible landscape

Bookmark   September 7, 2009 at 6:15AM
herbalbetty

Beautiful and practical!! Well done.

Bookmark   September 9, 2009 at 6:38AM
gardenlover25

Very inspiring! For a very small space like that you can harvest different kinds of crops. You're an excellent gardener.

Bookmark   September 10, 2009 at 7:24AM
spaghetina(SF Bay Area)

I went to your blog and smiled the whole way through. Your garden is lovely. I love your attention to detail, all the way down to the angle of the pickets, and the beautiful red fence post caps. Your garden makes me wish I'd gone with a different design for mine (or some design. Period. Lol), but since mine was thought up on a whim, it'll have to do. Next time though, I'll be turning to your blog for ideas!

Bookmark   September 14, 2009 at 2:53AM
rosiew(8 GA)

Such an inspiration. Feel blessed to have found your posting.

Do you have deer or other critters that feed in your garden? If so, what deterents have you employed?

Rosie, Sugar Hill, GA

Bookmark   October 5, 2009 at 5:16AM
homertherat

That's crazy! Instead of a lawn to mow, you have fruits and vegetables to eat! Nice work!

Bookmark   October 28, 2009 at 1:14PM
deep_south_gardener(z9b)

I too am happy I happened onto your post. Lovely
garden. Gives me lots of ideas and inspiration. Keep up the good work and keep us posted on your progress.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/album/575578430PXcgMP

Bookmark   December 5, 2009 at 1:39PM
More Discussions
Need advice for front-yard edible landscape
I am seeking advice on how to win over my neighborhood...
GrowMakeGive
loquats
This is a tree that seems to have some real potential...
lostman
Poncirus Trifoliata?
Anyone know anything about this plant, aka: Japanese...
trudyjean82
Need kudzu vine
Hello, I was wondering if anyone who live near kudzu...
Placebo
Designing with fruit & citrus trees
OK. I've finished the list of fruiting trees and shrubs...
modern_miss
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™