Pruning Pomegranate into a tree

elbeeSeptember 16, 2004

Hi there,

I have a pomegrante shrub that I would like to train into a tree form. But at this point it has 4 distinct branches growing out of the base. Is it too late to cut off three of the branches to allow only one of them to grow.

thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lucky_p

I've never seen one that wasn't a multi-stemmed large shrub, but you can train them to a single stem; it'll just require continual pruning to keep any new suckers that come up from the base pruned off.

Bookmark   September 23, 2004 at 12:23PM
drasaid(zone 8)

To make one stem. It DOES keep sending up shoots and I DO have to snip off lesser branches; however I don't want a five by five spiny ball in my yard so I have to do it. One stem with a spiny ball at the top I can deal with.
It's not the strongest plant, anyhow; mine keeps slumping over. I have to tie it to something. Hopefully it will stregthen. Mine is in a container, so I have to prune it anyway. Good luck.

Bookmark   September 23, 2004 at 8:03PM
eden5(7)

I have an overgrown pomegranate shrub and want to prune it hard. Should I do it now, or wait until after it blooms?

Bookmark   January 21, 2005 at 7:01PM
Rutha1

Where can I buy pomegranate seed or cuttings?
I live in southeast KY?

thanks,
Rutha

Bookmark   May 6, 2005 at 9:55PM
lucky_p

Rutha,
You can purchase pomegranate plants from a number of nurseries, like Edible Landscaping(www.eat-it.com). I've got several pomegranates back home (in AL) at my parents' home, that I started from cuttings from a neighbor's trees, nearly 40 years ago. They're also relatively easy to start from seed, from what I understand, but this is not the typical time of year when you'd be able to find pomegranate fruits in the grocery(usually late fall and on into Dec/Jan).
Be aware that in your area, you'd have to grow pomegranate as a containerized plant - they won't survive a zone 6 winter outdoors. Even at my parents' place, on the zone 7/8 interface, they require a protected spot - one of the three tree, planted out in the open, near the garden, gets 'nuked' every year.

Bookmark   May 9, 2005 at 9:49AM
painterbug(z8 Hell)

In my experience, pomegranates can take pruning. I actually didn't realize this was what I had and cut it to the ground to make way for a fence. It grew back with no problem and is now about 15 feet tall.

I don't know that it would work well as a standard tree. Mine looks a little like a multistemed vase shaped tree with arching tips. Similiar to a crepe myrtle.

Actually it looks quite nice like this. I just prune off any unwanted stems to contain the shape. The negative is that a ladder is required to pick fruit. I have a tall rose of Sharon opposite and a brick path down the middle. Makes a cave of orange and purple flowers in summer. Happy accident.

On a whim I tried to root cutting from it and they did very well. Used powder and a gallon pot of soil in a shady spot and it rooted fairly quickly, within a month.

Rutha I have no idea what variety I have but if you want cuttings to try I can mail you some. Just email me you're address.

Bookmark   May 17, 2005 at 10:17AM
More Discussions
Ornamentals? Who needs them!
As I see it, the basic problem with edible landscaping...
Hermitian
Need kudzu vine
Hello, I was wondering if anyone who live near kudzu...
Placebo
Looking for American elderberry
I am from Windsor, Ontario, Canada. I am looking for...
magg_ca
Help! My edible forest garden is getting the better of me.
Hi, all! Late winter, a year and a half ago, I converted...
HarrietMcLeod
Do Carpathian Walnuts and Butternuts Cross Pollinate?
It's probably been asked before, however, I couldn't...
nyRockFarmer
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™