Large Norway Spruce - is this on the way out?

chester_grant(6)June 7, 2011

This NS was planted as a 7 footer six years ago, and I previously posted about my concern about its rusty looking interior needles. Folks said not to worry.

Its new candling is fine - except the leader; see picture. The leader is 20 ft up so it was hard to reach and cut down, needed a ladder and a fully extended double pole cutter...

http://s293.photobucket.com/albums/mm45/chester_grant/?action=view&current=IMG_1052.jpg" target="_blank">

http://s293.photobucket.com/albums/mm45/chester_grant/?action=viewät=IMG_1051.jpg" target="_blank">

http://s293.photobucket.com/albums/mm45/chester_grant/?action=viewät=IMG_0397.jpg" target="_blank">

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jean001a(Portland OR 7b)

Looks similar to damage from white pine weevil. They kill the leader. And yes, that critter goes to spruce.

Bookmark   June 7, 2011 at 1:04PM
chester_grant(6)

To look for weevil - excellent suggestion - I cut the leader down the middle and opened it up but there was no sign of telltale larvae or insects between the bark and the woody center.....in the very center of the cutting from the top of the leader down to three inches or so the wood is a brown and powdery.

Bookmark   June 7, 2011 at 5:33PM
pineresin

"in the very center of the cutting from the top of the leader down to three inches or so the wood is a brown and powdery"

Yep, that's weevil damage - the brown powder is weevil turds. They've likely finished and moved on now, which is why you haven't found the weevils themselves.

Resin

Bookmark   June 7, 2011 at 8:05PM
pineresin

Forgot to mention, the tree will grow a new replacement leader (or maybe more than one, in which case you'll need to prune second leaders out later).

Resin

Bookmark   June 7, 2011 at 8:07PM
chester_grant(6)

I cut the top off just above a side branch which will hopefully be the new leader.
If this rusty looking specimen survives.

Bookmark   June 8, 2011 at 7:28PM
chester_grant(6)

Spring 2012 Update!:

This tree is producing new candles so its not dead yet;
however it now has multiple side branches at the top (as I removed the subject dead leader).
The tree is noticeably thinner in density compared to to the other (25) norway spruces I have planted over the property. In fact I am considering transplanting a small "safety" spruce in fornt of it as insurance so that IF it does die there will not be a large gap along my border.

Bookmark   May 10, 2012 at 7:45AM
More Discussions
Please identify this pine tree
Could someone please identify these pine trees? This...
picoazores_deleted
Ginkgo bilobal 'Variegata' -- testing pix upload
well .. you cant do two at once ... and you cant go...
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
Pine grafting question
Hi,last year I noticed a particularly lovely dwarf...
gary77788
can someone please help me I.D. this please?
I've had this tree for years and it hasn't seemed to...
mora2817
Pseudotsuga macrocarpa photo
A photo of my plant
bluethuja
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™