how does wild onion taste compared to tame onions?

lakedallasmary(8 - North Central TX)October 8, 2006

Are wild onions worth planting to use in cooking? Or is the taste more something you would put up if you were starving?

same question goes for wild garlic.

Mary

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rain1950(W. WA z8)

I just love Wikipedia.

Here is a link that might be useful: Wild Alliums

Bookmark   October 14, 2006 at 11:42AM
ltcollins1949(9a TX)

I would be very hesitant to eat wild onions and/or wild garlic, although I do know people who swear that they are safe to eat.

As a result of these claims, I have been doing some research on both wild onions and wild garlic. You might want to check out Texas Toxic Plant. Yes, they are referring to mainly to livestock, but I would be very hesitant to eat them.

And according to Cornell University it states that it can be poisonous to "cattle, horses, children".

And here is another site: FDA list.

Toxic Plants states:

Minor Toxicity: Ingestion of these plants may cause minor illnesses such as vomiting or diarrhea. If ingested, call the Poison Control Center or your doctor.

So eat them if you really want to, but I think the good old 1015's from HEB are the best!

Linda

Bookmark   October 15, 2006 at 9:15AM
lakedallasmary(8 - North Central TX)

thanks for the info.

I have definately taken wild onion seeds off my watner seed list.

I have read even tame onions and garlic should not be eaten on a regular basis.

Bookmark   November 9, 2006 at 1:12PM
zorba_the_greek(9)

I've been eating wild plants all my 56 yeas, and I teach the topic. All "wild" onions are edible. All "wild" garlics are edible. But, you must remember the rule: It must look like an onion AND smell like an onion for it to be edible. It must look like a garlic AND smell like a garlic to be edible. There are a few deadly plants that look like a wild onion or a wild garlic but do not smell like them. It must LOOK AND SMELL like either an oinion or a garlic. PS: Here in Florida, the "wild" onion has cloves on top, not underground.

Bookmark   November 11, 2006 at 2:44PM
drasaid(zone 8)

The seeds are HOT (if you are fool enough to eat them). They won't kill you but if you eat one on the levee you'll have to run down and find a hose and faucet fast.
My father ate all the wild onions I could find him (and he ate them raw.)

Bookmark   November 18, 2006 at 11:20AM
sandylighthouse(7)

We eat wild onions all the time backpacking in the Sierras. The taste is indistinguishable from domestic varieties. The real downfall is the toughness and stringiness.

Bookmark   December 1, 2006 at 4:02PM
madelynsprite_yahoo_com

I LOVE WILD ONIONS.. SERIOUSLY THEY ARE GOOD WITH JUST SOME SALT. AND YOU CAN USE THE GREEN PART IN COOKING!!!

WILD AND RAW IS AWESOME.
THEY DONT HAVE TO BE TAME TO BE GOOD. AND THEY HELP WITH BLOOD PRESSURE.

Bookmark   May 6, 2008 at 4:38PM
stoloniferous(6)

If you are going to eat any plant from the wild, you should learn to identify the specific plant. "Wild onion" is too generic a name, and could be referring to any number of plants. You need the scientific name.

I grew up in a yard full of "wild onions" that my mother assumed were inedible. Turns out they were standard garden-escapee chives. :)

Bookmark   May 12, 2008 at 4:44PM
tejas55(8a)

It's unfortunate how so many people condemn one of mother nature's greatest treasures and prefer to buy asian imports of onions grown in Mexico or California with tons of pesticides when wild onions, for whom grocery store onions came from, are free for the taking and are completely organic and taste great. I've been harvesting them for years and cook with them or eat them raw regularly. It's amazing how we've become so accustomed to getting all our food from supermarkets and amazing how our ancestors survived thousands of years without supermarkets.

Bookmark   March 29, 2009 at 10:27PM
stevenwayne(6 sw)

they grow like weeds here we eat them all the time never have any issuse they are pretty tasty

Bookmark   April 1, 2009 at 11:49PM
More Discussions
Need advice for front-yard edible landscape
I am seeking advice on how to win over my neighborhood...
GrowMakeGive
Poncirus Trifoliata?
Anyone know anything about this plant, aka: Japanese...
trudyjean82
Stevia the sugar plant!!!!
Health and safety In 2009, FDA considered "Rebiana...
moringaplace
Do Carpathian Walnuts and Butternuts Cross Pollinate?
It's probably been asked before, however, I couldn't...
nyRockFarmer
espalier - not apple or pear
Does anyone have any experience with creating an espalier...
lpinkmountain
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™