pecans vs. hickories

rolf_jacobsOctober 28, 2008

This is probably a really dumb question and something you would expect out of a Northener but what is the difference between a pecan and a hickory? I am supposed to do some commercial landscaping in Madison, GA, for some friends and they want pecans for the residents of their mobile home community to enjoy. However, I keep getting info on hickories. Are these the same tree? If so, why is one type called a pecan and another a hickory?

The trees are going out in a field all by themselves so there is not problem with litter or size or falling branches. I just want something that comes into production ASAP and can live without irrigation after the first 2 or 3 years.

Thanks.

Rolf

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
denninmi(8a)

Well, technically, all pecans are hickories, but not all hickories are pecans by any means. All species of hickory are in the genus Carya. Pecans are Carya illinoinensis.

Culinarily, by convention, oblong/cylindrical nuts with dark shells are called Pecans, those more flattened with lighter shells are called hickories. Pecans are much easier to shell than hickories such as shagbark and shellbark, but the nuts of both are very tasty. I'm sure that pecans are what you want.

Bookmark   October 30, 2008 at 7:15AM
lucky_p

Grafted specimens will come into production in about half the time(or less) that you'll be waiting for seedlings to grow through their juvenile period and reach bearing age.
For pecans, that will translate to 5-10 years or so before they start bearing a few nuts, as opposed to 12-20 years for a seedling pecan to begin bearing.
Hickories - even slower. I've got grafted hickories that have been in place for nearly 15 years, and still no blooms or nuts.
By and large, pecans will be more productive than hickories - but the hickory flavor is superior to that of pecan.
Heck; plant some of both, if you've got space for them.

Here is a link that might be useful: Nolin River Nut Tree Nursery

Bookmark   November 1, 2008 at 9:49AM
songbird2008

It's hard to describe the taste difference, but to me the pecans have a low rich flavor, the hickories have a higher intense flavor. Pecans are muich easier to shell than hickories. I used to gather hickory nuts for my gramma in Upstate NY. They were so much work that she used them only in frosting for a plain yelow cake. It was superb! The ground nut frosting was incredibly flavorful.

Bookmark   November 24, 2008 at 6:28PM
rolf_jacobs

Songbird:

I kind of wondered about the taste difference. I thought there might be one and now I may plant a hickory or two in addition to the pecans.

Speaking of taste, do you have this recipe you mention or can you possibly re-create it from memory? I'm sure I'm not the only one who would like to try it.

Rolf

Bookmark   November 24, 2008 at 8:06PM
More Discussions
sunchoke, jerusalem artichoke
hello. i live in michigan. never had sunchoke before,...
anikomaier
Good currant variety?
I'm looking to grow some currants but there are too...
dzr4
Need advice for front-yard edible landscape
I am seeking advice on how to win over my neighborhood...
GrowMakeGive
Yew
Are yew berries poisonous? I know the seed is, but...
CaptMicha
Looking for Kudzu roots to grow
Hello, I am looking for someone who can send me some...
Placebo
Sponsored Products
Illumine Ceiling Fans Zephyr 52 in. Indoor/Outdoor Aged Pecan Aged Pecan
Home Depot
Joseph Smooth Pecan Reclining Sofa
Overstock.com
Mohawk Home Blinds & Shades Dennell Butter Pecan 8 ft. x 10 ft. Area Rug 388768
Home Depot
Hand-tufted Brown Roxborough Wool Area Rug (10' x 14')
Overstock.com
Accentrics Arabella Panel Bed Multicolor - PUL2362
Hayneedle
Alton Antique Flemish 60-Inch Ceiling Fan
$406.00 | Bellacor
American Drew Jessica Mcclintock The Boutique Collection Round Dining Table - Gl
Hayneedle
Cagliari Table Lamp
$217.80 | Bellacor
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™