crabapple advice sought

kiwi_ellymay(New Zealand)November 16, 2007

I am seeking an ornamental crabapple that will also provide nice fruit for eating/cooking. I have heard that some are even nice enough to eat fresh. I would ideally like to do more than just make jelly with them.

I would love some suggestions.

I am particularly seeking:

-A spreading habit to screen neighbour's garage (up to 4 metres)

-white flowers -or maybe red

-beautiful red fruits that will hang on for winter interest

-Good eating qualities

The varieties I have seen available locally here in New Zealand include Jelly King, Profusion, Wright's Scarlett and Jack Humm. Can anyone comment on these?

Also, if a variety is listed as being unpopular with the birds (i.e. Jack Humm), does that mean it is less palatable for humans?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lucky_p

If you can find 'Callaway', it is an ornamental crab selection with good foliar disease resistance - and heavy production of large(for an ornamental crab) fruits ~1.5", with very good flavor. It is a favorite for eating out-of-hand in my family.
Due to its heavy fruit production, it eventually assumes a semi-weeping character.
There are a number of superior 'edible' crab varieties - Chestnut, Kerr, Centennial, Wickson, Trailman, Whitney are top-flight. These all have fruits in the 2-2.5" inch range, with extremely tasty fruit.

Bookmark   November 23, 2007 at 9:25PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
pokeberry(z7 GA)

if you are looking for crab apples with good taste i would look at greenmantle nursery they have a collection of albert etter apples and crabapples he was a breeder of a lot of great apples. i dont think you will find a better crab apple. http://www.greenmantlenursery.com/fruit/etter-apples.htm

Here is a link that might be useful: crabapples

Bookmark   December 31, 2007 at 4:31PM
More Discussions
Good currant variety?
I'm looking to grow some currants but there are too...
dzr4
Stevia the sugar plant!!!!
Health and safety In 2009, FDA considered "Rebiana...
moringaplace
Edible Mycorrhizae Mushrooms
I have a wacky idea. Mycorrhizae mushrooms have symbiotic...
edlincoln
where can i buy sea buckthorn?
I found one place online but they have only females....
knifer
espalier - not apple or pear
Does anyone have any experience with creating an espalier...
lpinkmountain
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™