Rooting a runner that has already been cut

thegreens72November 9, 2009

I am receiving a set of strawberry runners from the germplasm in Oregon. They are not rooted...just simply the runners. How do I successfully root these runners that are no longer attached to the mother plant? I received some runners the same way a while ago and did not succeed in rooting them...much to my dismay. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
donnaz5(Z5 NY)

I have rooted a lot of my strawberries from runners, and they are basically weeds, they will root quite easily. If yours have failed to root, I can think of a couple of things that may have happened..they might have dried out..you must keep them moist at all times, and placing some sort of humidity dome over the top of them(soda bottle or milk jug with the bottom cut off)will help. Another thing that may have happened is if you tried to root them in full sun..the sun will fry them..try rooting them in dappled shade, then transplanting them after they have rooted.
It would help if you told us how you tried to root your last batch, then we can maybe help you more. Donna

Bookmark   November 14, 2009 at 9:55AM
More Discussions
Ribes Aureum for Cincinnati, Ohio (zone 5)
Has anyone had success with Golden Currant in the Cincinnati,...
Paige Nugent
Cherry Red rhubarb
Cherry Red would be good for my Maryland location near...
gwmchalmers
sunchoke, jerusalem artichoke
hello. i live in michigan. never had sunchoke before,...
anikomaier
Paw Paw hybrids or not?
I've contacted a few nurseries in pursuit of PawPaw....
moontraveler
pakistan mulberry problems
can you tell me what is wrong with me Pakistan mulberry...
anthonyaz
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™