groumi 'sweet scarlet'

fragrantgardener01December 24, 2010

I am interested in the plant and would like to know if it's worth growing. If anyone here grows this, I would appreciate hearing about whether it tastes as good as the catalogs claim it.

I tasted a regular goumi berry once and didn't like the taste, too astringent and sour. But I was told that Goumi Sweet Scarlet is exceptionally good-tasting.

Thanks,

FG

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
pinc06(6b)

Hi FG

I purchased 3 of these from Shumway several years back. I thought I had read that the foliage turned a vivid red in autumn with Sweet Scarlet, but these bushes never change color at all. They have grown well, are very productive, but after several years I've decided to let the birds have them. Flavor is good, but they are very small berries with a very large seed inside. Only way to enjoy them at all is to toss a big handful into your mouth and mush them around to basically juice them. then you have to spit out a big seed wad which is not nice to do with an audience. I love munching from my garden, but these are too much work to eat.

I love my gooseberries tho!

Pam in cinti

Bookmark   December 11, 2012 at 6:24PM
yukkuri_kame(Sunset 19 / USDA 9)

Would you be willing to send some of those Goumi seeds my way?

Goumi is fairly rare among fruits in having a high amount of omega 3 fatty acids. I believe it is also a nitrogen fixer, so even if it in't the most exciting fruit in your garden, it is adding fertility to the rest of the system.

Bookmark   February 11, 2013 at 4:39AM
loquat60

The berries are quite small but tasty when fully ripe,interesting mostly as something to nibble on as you walk past,or to share.On the plus side you can grow them under a tree on the southern exposure and not use any additional space.

Bookmark   February 20, 2013 at 10:52PM
yukkuri_kame(Sunset 19 / USDA 9)

Still looking for goumi seeds if anybody has any. :D

Bookmark   March 21, 2013 at 12:44AM
More Discussions
Asparagus setaceus root, has anyone seen it?
i think that what i have here is a big size Asparagus...
preppystud
espalier - not apple or pear
Does anyone have any experience with creating an espalier...
lpinkmountain
Beach Plum as Foundation Planting?
I'm going to buy a boyfriend for an existing Beach...
edlincoln
Edible small trees that can be used as ornament trees
As stated in the title, I am looking for suggestion...
Novie
loquats
This is a tree that seems to have some real potential...
lostman
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™