Blackberries ,Blueberries and Raspberries

ezawada(z9 CA Livermore)December 10, 2002

Anyone recommending good fruiting varieties ?

I'm thinkin to invest in some :

Blackberries :

APACHE, BLACK BUTTE, BLACK SATIN

Blueberries :

GEORGIA GEM, O'NEAL

Raspberries :

AUTUMN BLISS, FALL GOLD, INDIAN SUMMER RED

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lucky_p

If you're not opposed to erect(self-supporting) thorned blackberry types, Kiowa has been getting rave reviews from Southern growers in zones 7,8,9. I've seen good reports on Black Butte and Triple Crown, as well, but don't have any of them in my plantings(too many good 'wild' ones growing on the farm to devote any space to planting blackberries).

GG & ON blueberries should do well for you - can't say I ever encountered a 'bad' blueberry. If you've got room for more, I'd plant a diverse selection of rabbiteyes and Southern highbush types.

Bookmark   December 13, 2002 at 3:00PM
paul98037(WA7Puget Sound)

Triple Crown!!!! late, thornless and delicous at least that way at Mount Vernon, Wa

Bookmark   December 14, 2002 at 9:58PM
tertiary01(z9a-N.cal)

I spent all summer trying to keep my O'neals alive; they are very picky about pH, preferring it to be below 5.0. The Georgiagems are hardier and I only lost one. You might try Ozarkblue, Jubilee, Reveille, GulfCoast or Sharpblue. They seem more tolerant of higher pH (5.0-5.5), heat waves, moles and gophers. Many nurseries rave about Cape Fear, but I had no luck. They are even more picky than the O'neals and I lost all of them.

Bookmark   December 21, 2002 at 2:59PM
eric_wa(San Juan, z8 WA)

In my zone 8 orchard I have

Raspberries: Summit, a red everbearing variety.All canes are cut to the ground every year.

Blueberries: Darrow and Olympia, both do well here.

Blackberries: Chester thornless, no supports needed.
Marionberry: very thorny, but very tasty!

Eric

Bookmark   January 31, 2003 at 11:14PM
kwheat(z9 sunset 14)

Hi,
I live in the Napa Valley. This year I planted 'Heritage' Red Raspberries and a Black raspberry called "Big Mac" the black is definitely the more vigorous so far. I haven't had any fruit yet but I've grown Heritage before and they were sweet and a long productive season.

As far as blueberries go I planted two varieties and both are doing well. They get half sun with some afternoon shade. The early variety is called "Spartan" and it has huge very sweet berries(I highly recommend this one) the mid season is Toro and it has average size more tart berries but is very productive. Hope this helps. I'd be interested in what you find out.

Bookmark   June 26, 2003 at 11:08PM
newyorkrita(z6b/7a LI NY)

Anyone growing the Arapaho and Apache thornless blackberries from Raintree? Do these sucker less than common types or at least not aggressively spead? How about taste?

Bookmark   April 23, 2004 at 5:25PM
abukorga(9ca)

I have planted ozarck blue 2 years a ago ,it is loaded with fruit this year.I think it is more tolerant of higher ph.I planted misty blue last year,but it is barely surviving.I just moved it from the ground into a pot,hopefully it will make it.
Rasberries I have Heritage ,it fruited the first year itself. Berries are large and abundant in the fall,only few in summer.
I also have a Baba berry ,which I got as a bare root from home depot,the berries from this plant are extremely favorful and there are a lot of baby plants in the patch.

I have just planted a "black Satin" blackberry ,which has just started flowering.

I am near San Jose.

abu.

Bookmark   May 7, 2004 at 9:14PM
newyorkrita(z6b/7a LI NY)

I put in 11 more Blueberry plants this spring. Varieties from Early to extra late so I should have Blueberries all summer next year and on. Four of the new plants set afew flowers already.

Raspberries and Brambles were a must have this spring. Planted 'Jewel' Black Raspberries, 'Caroline' Red Everbearing and 'Anne' Yellow Everbearing Raspberries. Also 'Encore' Summer Red Raspberries. Tried for Purple Raspberies but was too late as they were out of stock.

I put in a 'Kiowa' Blackberry so I hope to be able to judge for myself next year if the fruit is as good as advertised. It had better be good to make up for the nasty thorns!

I also planted Apache and Arapaho Erect Thornless Blackberries this Spring but so far they are not growing.

Bookmark   June 5, 2004 at 1:48PM
daviddmc(z6 NJ)

I planted four kiowa blackberries (obtained from Raintree nurseries) last year. There's a good amount of fruit forming on them now...very exciting.

They actually produced a very tiny amount of berries last year (first year planting). Biggest blackberries I've ever seen! And they tasted GREAT! However, these are my first blackberries (to grow), so I think I picked a few too early -- some weren't sweet (and somewhat bad tasting). But others I must've gotten at the right time, because they were fantastic.

Bookmark   June 15, 2004 at 4:37PM
greenhummer(zone 5,Ohio)

I planted Doyle Thornless 3yrs ago. This is a very agressive plant which is easy to go and is loaded with very big fruit.

Bookmark   June 22, 2004 at 9:41PM
Ratherbgardening(PNW 7 or 8)

I planted an arapaho and apache last fall, but they haven't grown much. I may get a few berries off of them. I fight blackberries on our property all the time, so I don't know why these don't take off. I planted a marionberry in the same area and it's growing fine.

Bookmark   June 25, 2004 at 11:53AM
Mikey(SoCal-Z10-22/23)

If you live in a warmer zone like I do, make certain you do your homework and select varieties that don't require a high number of chilling hours. I just picked up the Blueberry 'Sunshine Blue' which requires only 150 hours of chilling.

Bookmark   January 19, 2005 at 1:52AM
lesleynd(z3/4 ND)

I am having trouble finding out the growth rate of Blueberries. Someone suggested them as a good looking landscape plant. Looks like for this zone I need Dwarf size. Also does anyone have a suggestion for other quick growing nice looking fruit shrubs? Thanks

Bookmark   February 24, 2005 at 11:21AM
foodfrendNJ6b(6b)

I wouldn't call blueberries quick growing. Seems to take about 6 or 8 years for them to really get going. In my experience at 2 different houses.

abukorga, how did your black satin do? I want some... we used to have them when I was a kid. They didn't sucker, thornless, 3 plants in a group made plenty of fruit for 2 kids to sit there for 40 minutes and munch. We complained about the sourness and kept eating. We took the best ones to my mom. They are really soft when they're sweet. Good plant. No maintenance, no diseases. Zone 6b NJ hot and humid summers

Bookmark   April 18, 2013 at 3:00AM
More Discussions
Looking for Kudzu roots to grow
Hello, I am looking for someone who can send me some...
Placebo
Good currant variety?
I'm looking to grow some currants but there are too...
dzr4
Do Carpathian Walnuts and Butternuts Cross Pollinate?
It's probably been asked before, however, I couldn't...
nyRockFarmer
Need advice for front-yard edible landscape
I am seeking advice on how to win over my neighborhood...
GrowMakeGive
tasty aronia??
Has anyone had a tasty crop of aronia? I had bought...
lostman
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™