Question About Sprouting Daylily Seeds

alameda/zone 8April 1, 2012

I found some refrigerated seeds from 2010 and put them in the hydrogen peroxide soaking solution 2-20-12. They are all a similiar cross - havent had any luck with them germinating. Other seeds from 2010 have taken a little time but have germinated and are now potted and doing well. I have changed the water periodically and discarded the seeds that were soft. Am I wasting my time with these seeds or should I continue to soak them? Should I put them back in the frige for a couple of weeks? Thanks for any advice!

Judith

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cody_mi(z5 MI)

if they've been soaking for over a month, i'd say pitch them, they most likely won't germinate at this point.

Bookmark   April 2, 2012 at 10:18PM
Julia NY(6)

It is up to you but I'd dump them too.

Julia

Bookmark   April 3, 2012 at 7:18AM
wildbirds

Based upon your question/comments, you do have interest in these seeds .... Why not experiment with them rather than just tossing them ... put them into the freezer for a day or two then thaw them out and perhaps repeat - extreme representation of 'winter' and of attempting to activate the chemistry within the seeds that controls germination protocols. Some seeds(NOT daylilies) need extreme heat and some actual freezing to facilitate germination. Germination ease or difficulty is a genetic phenomenon it seems. There is little to lose with the experiment IF you wish to save the potential within those seeds.

Bookmark   April 3, 2012 at 10:08AM
anna_in_quebec(z4 QC)

I always winter-sow my daylily seeds, and have great success :)

Bookmark   April 3, 2012 at 1:05PM
najoba(8b)

I hope you put them in a warm, dark closet. They must have absolute dark to germinate. Some just won't germinate, though, in spite of it all.

Nancy

Bookmark   April 5, 2012 at 12:58AM
More Discussions
What are you most looking forward to this spring?
I know just having winter and all the aggravation it...
organic_kitten
Voles have started....again!
Have found the first vole tunnel in a while...in the...
organic_kitten
Another Houzz change-sending messages without following
I copied this post from Jasminerose4u in the rose forum....
KarenPA_6b
How do I delete photo before it is posted?
If you upload a photo from your computer to a post...
Julia NY
Now for charming "C" daylilies!
Let's see what you all have, I Need to add more to...
sherrygirl zone5
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™