wanted: wanted: any kind of chamomile

thecitychicken(Swaziland)February 2, 2008

I've been reading about medicinal herbs lately and want to try adding chamomile to my garden. I live in Yacolt, WA, 50 min. N. of Portland. Is this easy to grow from seed? What's a good variety for culinary uses? Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jburesh1388(z8 WA)

It is easy to grow from seed as i usually have some that self seed. I grow german chamomile and have saved the flowers, in order to make tea, and have yet to try it! :) it's a great flower too, so I keep it around.

Bookmark   February 4, 2008 at 7:19PM
pdxjules(8, Portland, OR)

I have tons of German Chamomile to share with anyone - anytime you are in the Portland area. The flowers and leaves are nicer than other varieties, IMO.

Just call me before dropping by: 503-289-8961 - when in NE near MLK/Dekum. It's a great plant, hardy, works in shade, pots, or sun. The Doris Day of my garden, perhaps. Blooms for MONTHS, returns after cutting back, and is a natural re-seeder. Easy to identify and yank (or move) any you don't want. All in all, an under-rated, great plant, IMO.

I'd appreciate tips on how to cook with any part of the palnt, and specific instructions on making tea...dry or fresh & which parts? Does anyone use the plant in soups or salads?

Since it has chosen my garden - wouldn't be cool if it was the tasty anti-allergy, anti-aging antidote of my dreams? (Heck, I'd settle for an approximation of HOPS for Brewing. Might try it!)

Bookmark   March 15, 2008 at 2:46AM
thecitychicken(Swaziland)

From stuff I've read on the 'net, it's easy to make into tea. And if you drink it, you will stay 18 forever!!

Bookmark   March 15, 2008 at 11:51AM
More Discussions
WANTED: Milkweed
Posting this message again as I logged in on a really...
vmpalmerton
Need ideas for quick planting
A friend's daughter is graduating from high school...
brianc2112
WANTED: Spring Plant Trade
Hey Fellow GardenWebbers! I think it has been about...
brianc2112
WANTED: Iron Cross oxalis bulbs
Does anyone have the ones with the purple cross and...
barbe_wa
HAVE: Red sunchoke
Hardy Red Fuseau (Jerusalem artichoke)
briergardener_gw
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™