bulbs in bags---question

scully931(6)April 11, 2011

Hi,

Just found some fabulous canna roots at Home Depot and with my garden club coupon got another bag free.

The problem is, they are pretty far along. I'd say some have shoot 8 inches long and very green. I have so many I really would rather not pot them all up until time to plant outside.

It was 80 here today, but will be in the 50s by the end of the week. We can definately have another frost. Almost certain we will.

Anything I can do with them? I have not opened the bags.

Thanks for any advice! :-)

Deborah

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lavendrfem(z6 CT)

I have cannas that someone gave me and they're still in the basement. I don't plant them out until after the last frost. I think yours should be fine until then. Don't fertilize and keep them in a low light area.

Bookmark   April 11, 2011 at 8:37AM
scully931(6)

Okay, thanks. Will stick them in the basement. Think I should open the bag and let them breathe or keep it sealed?

Bookmark   April 11, 2011 at 12:39PM
ianna(Z5b)

or in a cold garage. I've cannas naturally grow in spring despite being overwitnered in the basement and in the dark. The usual technique is to keep them in slightly moist newspapers loosely or peat through out winter. I suppose this is the same treatment you would give them now. Watch out for rot.

Bookmark   April 11, 2011 at 1:28PM
More Discussions
Weekend Trivia - Saturday
Happy Saturday Morning, Cottagers!! Well, it's a grey...
midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
Backyard birding
Last fall i had posted that i was having trouble attracting...
Lilyfinch z7 mid tn
reminder of spring
post your spring pics from last year This post was...
davids10 z7a nv.
Forum changed ALOT
OMGosh, this whole forum completely changed! WHen did...
todancewithwolves
An Irish Cottage Garden.
Not my own Irish Cottage Garden this time,..i have...
nulty
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™