HAVE: Butterfly bush cuttings

athirkFebruary 9, 2010

Hi all,

We need to remove a very large butterfly bush (probably 12" diameter trunk) that is growing into a nearby structure. I see that there are a few possible cuttings (?) that someone might be able to cut off if they know how to do that (I'm a newbie gardener, so I don't know how that works, but thought I'd offer it anyway). We'll be cutting it probably within the next week or two.

We are in North Seattle.

Cheers,

Ashley

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
yaslan(8 WA state)

But there's a dark side to this popular plant. Butterfly bush can be a very aggressive, or invasive non-native shrub that, in certain situations, can overtake native vegetation, according to horticulturists with the Oregon State University Extension Service and weed biologists with Oregon's Department of Agriculture (ODA).

http://extension.oregonstate.edu/news/story.php?S_No=770&storyType=garde

In Oregon, the ODA officially classified it as a class "B" noxious weed in 2004. Its strategic plan includes efforts to eradicate butterfly bush in the wild, but not from people's yards.

Impacts
This plant is a pioneering species that dominates open habitats. It poses an ecological threat to dry-land meadows, open slopes and dunes, dominating these sites as much as Scotch broom has historically. It also invades reforested sites, resulting in a loss of forest productivity.

Bookmark   February 10, 2010 at 3:16PM
homersgarden(7)

They just outlawed the sale of this plant in Oregon. A pretty plant, but it is OBnoxious.

Bookmark   February 12, 2010 at 2:07PM
Patrick888(z8 SeaTac WA)

Not all butterfly bushes are invasive. I have 7 on my property and have never found even one seedling. I have seen pale lavender (and a few white) bf bushes in areas along I-5 in "generous" quantities, but they don't appear to be the hybrids commonly found in nurseries.

Bookmark   February 15, 2010 at 5:57PM
More Discussions
HAVE: Common Day Lilies for Green Elephant - worth bringing?
I just dug up a whole bunch of day lilies - the old...
pugetsoundgardener
HAVE: Large Japanese Maple 20+ Yrs Old
I have a large Japanese Maple in a part of the garden...
Obsidian
WANTED: Marionberry Cutting(Redmond Microsoft)
Anyone have any extra Marionberry suckers or will allow...
Brandon_the_Random
have: free native milkweed asclepias speciosa seeds
I am distributing free seeds of Asclepias speciosa...
mikan5080
WANTED: Spring Plant Trade
Hey Fellow GardenWebbers! I think it has been about...
brianc2112
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™